Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dew tank issue..

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're growing all of those in a tank? Is the tank covered or uncovered?

Your pygmy Drosera could be going dormant from the temps. The South Africans are probably too warm. South Africans like some temperature drop at night.

Take the cover off or turn the tank on its side. Or consider a grow shelf depending on what your winter temperatures are like. Humidity should not be a problem if you keep your plants adequately watered. Unless or course your ambient RH is consistently below 20%

It's the soil/root temperatures you have to watch. In a closed system like a tank everything in the system (air, pots, soil etc.) will equalize temperatures much more than an open system.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even below 20% its no big deal, most the larger dews like binata and capensis are fine with ultra low so long as they are in really good light and kept watered and most the small ones see a bump in local relative humidity due to their proximity to the damp soil......when its -40 out and the central air is on the humidity here is in the low teens.....

most my problems with growing dews were as a newbie growing them in tanks, the higher humidity and low air circulation caused most to rot......they are much happier with really good air circulation and strong light and dont really care bout humidity......with the exception of a handful of species.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tank is uncovered, with 4 Vita-Lite T12 greenhouse bulbs, and the dews are in a tray of water. There is 60% humidity in the tank, and 30%-40% outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as i said, pull them out of the tank....30-40% is more than enough to get the job done.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't live without a/c!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a tank is totally inappropriate for that application. They don't need a significant amount of humidity - I've got conditions in that range and I grow my Neps uncovered. If I'm not mistaken, Drosera evolved dewiness first to cope with dehydration, before they used it to capture bugs.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay.. they just need plenty of light to produce dew and thrive, correct? So, why take them out of an uncovered tank that is providing them with an ample amount of light? I don't have a good window to place them in. And like I said earlier, there really isn't much of a difference in humidity. Only about 30% higher inside the tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you do ditch the tank, though, you can expect that if you're growing them in the same location indoors, the dew will still evaporate from the leaves even faster (unless you give them more light).
    Where I grow mine (on the tray method), the air is pretty much stagnant, so they always have dew on the leaves even when it gets to 85F-90F under the lights during the summer (I have a separate grow area for my cool-loving sundews like pygmies and South American species). But the sundews growing in the warmer conditions are only ~2-3 inches from my T-8 fixtures, so most of them are completely red and have maximal dew production, it seems.

Not having dew during the warmest part of the day isn't necessarily a bad thing unless the plants look like they're declining. If they were growing outdoors and this happened, they obviously wouldn't be able to catch any prey during this time, though.
    Last edited by CPlantaholic; 05-25-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast