What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Originally set up for Aldrovanada (which I no longer can see), it turned into a lost cause sanctuary for Darlingtonia (cool running water and shade), as well as a home for U. alpina, Cephalotus, and a Heli. Also in there are 3 pots of D. macrantha tubers, and either dead or severely unhappy D. regia & D. slacki. The Darlingtonia may look horrible right now but there is new growth emerging.

Picture002-10.jpg

How are you circulating the water?

Maybe not clear from this photo but the container is a few feet away from a black, plastic outfall, which continuously emits water. It isn't at a gushing rate but when I fill up my gallon jugs and disturb the debris, it clears up in a couple minutes. The air temp is in the 80's and the water flowing through is ~55-60 F.

Picture002-14.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Same site, several weeks later:

Picture007-13.jpg

You "before" picture looks like it's part of a storm water system (the garbage etc...). I would be nervous about pollutants released upstream damaging your plants.

As I recall Jimscott works part time for a lab that tests water quality so I think he knows what he is doing.

Looks like you had quite the part there. Where's the ceph? I didn't see it in the pic..

As I recall Jimscott works part time for a lab that tests water quality so I think he knows what he is doing.

I'm not doubting his judgment, I'm just shocked to see CP potable water coming out from a storm drain. Plus in the 2nd picture of the thread it looks like there is some debris and trash (styrofoam cup) floating around. If it's CP friendly then I'm WAY jealous!

Last edited:
Truth be told, I haven't tested the water, from a chemical perspective. We are very close to Cazenovia Creek, so I think that's it's source. As to debris... there are 13 apartment buildings here, with 8 apartments in each. Humans are dirty creatures. I collect the water from the outfall and have been watering my plants on the porch for the past several weeks, with no reaction. In other words, I'm taking a chance, based upon the vegetation from the bog itself. Yes, it's questionable. But so far so good!

The Ceph is at the top, in the middle. There are Ceph leaves in the Heli pot. One is red.

I was just checking on the setup this morning and found the container overturned. I am missing two pots, one of the with a D. macarantha tuber and the Hummer. All else was salvageable. I can't tell whether it was criiters, people, or natural disaster. I am not a happy camper right now!

I checked on the bog container and found my Heli uprooted. It's looking more and more like critters are stealing the LFS and making a mess. What really burns me is that I lost all of the D. macrantha tubers, scattered about and the Cephalotus is nowhere to be found. The D. regia looked like it had a little green on it but when I went to add more media I accidentally broke off what appeared to be new growth. I disbanded the whole project and disseminated the surviving plants - the 2 cobra lilys, the Heli, and the U. alpina. That was maddening!

Jim,

The tequila is a hardy species, but just to be safe you might want to soak her for a day,
Sorry to hear about the critter attacks, and the missing HG

Here, I have probs with birds getting my live sphag for nesting and raccoons digging for water during dry spells
(I started putting out pans of water during those periods, that seemed to solve the problem)

Butch

Will do. That bog is like a magnet for activity when I'm not looking. The porch generally doesn't get messed with, even though it's clearly outside. I think there are actually 2 Helis. Do they divide often or easily?

No heli is really bad but tequila's are very easy to divide, the don't form the dense clump some species do... I made a post sometime back on dividing helis, just read it and go for it... its very easy Jim

Av

Back