What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally going to put in a bog garden

I picked up a pond liner at a yard sale and hope to start this weekend. I was wondering what soil mixes folks use in their bogs. I will likely use sand and wondered if there is a particular source that people prefer. I will try to take a pic and see if anybody has any ideas.

Silica Sand! I bet that would work VERY well, because people use it in their CP mix. The con is the stuff is more of the expensive side. You could get it online, or at a nursery or hardware store. Take some sand and pour vinegar on it and see if it fizzes. It shouldnt if its clean.

I have a container bog garden buried in the ground, the sand I used was washed and dried play sand as that can't have any salts or chemicals in it by law. at 15 inches deep I had 3 inches of sand, a thin layer or lfs, most of the rest a 1:3 sand-peat mix and at the top another layer or LFS.

i bought a 50lb bag of silica sand for $3.49 at a dept. store. its not expensive.

i bought a 50lb bag of silica sand for $3.49 at a dept. store. its not expensive.

I think play sand is just as good though, it was 1.49 for a 50 pound bag for me.

298fb716.jpg
[/IMG]

I would think that it should be mixed in a big bale sphagnum peat.

The plan at this time is to dig big hole (obviously), fill it with some sand, put the liner in...then I start to question myself. Any suggestions for how to cover that reservoir in the middle? Can I support weed tarp over that to keep the soil out or is that pretty much a hopeless endeavor and I should just fill it with rocks and sand for drainage?

Next question-drainage slits in the bottom or on the sides? Perhaps I'll use weed tarp over the slits/holes. Any benefits to trying to angle the liner slightly so that the water runs to the drainage point or should I just let it be?

I'll use a PVC pipe leading to the bottom-maybe a couple throughout the bog. Peat/sand mix (I've read that play sand is too fine for this sort of thing and that river sand is good-not sure where to get that though) and then in go some plants.

Thanks for the suggestions

I would fill the bog with a mix of sand and peat moss..
I would go 1/3 sand to 2/3 peat, by volume..
(just because I dont like 50/50..I think its too much sand..but opinions vary)

then a top dressing layer of LFS across the top, once the plants are planted, to prevent the peat from spashing around in the rain..

As for drainage..I would drill drainage holes 3 inches down from the "surface" of the bog..
this keeps the bog very wet overall, but not waterlogged all the way to the top..
I have found over the years with my minibogs:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5b.html

that I dont need to know or care exactly where the water level is..
I have never wanted or needed any kind of "water level monitoring" system..IMO its completely unnecessary..

eventually you learn to just go by feel..if the bog seems dry, add some water until water comes out the drainage hole..then let the water level drop again for awhile..there is no need to keep it constantly "topped off"..with a bog that big, you can probably go for weeks between waterings..

(and IMO a fluctuating water level is "natural" anyway)

I wouldnt bother with rocks in the lowest recessed section..just fill the whole thing right up with sand and peat..

Scot

I use a 1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand. Then top off with LFS. Worked great for me so far. I too used play sand, but either will work just fine. I also have drain holes about 1-3" from the surface of the bog.

One thing I would recommend is to NOT burry the drain holes. If you put the drain hole below the surface of the soil around the bog, you have the chance when it rains that water will drain into your bog. This could bring in unwanted minerals and ferts.

outdoorbogs+008.jpg

outdoorbogs+010.jpg

I don't think perlite helps with something that is outside. The perlite will migrate to the top, instead of providing drainage, and turns green.

A mix of sand and peat with a top layer of LFS best approximates nature.

Back