What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Showing off the barrel

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Since I'm new here i thought I'd show off my whiskey barrel bog. It was officially started on Mother's day 2007. The main problem i had found was temperate sundews getting flattened in the rain and not recovering, so after the first year i left them out, though I'd love to try some again if anyone can tell me how to keep them from getting rain flattened.

Barrel for the front
expman.pl

In the front of the barrel is my cranberry. I am growing it to cover the barrel sides, it adds some visual interest and produces berries for me.

Barrel from the back
expman.pl

On the ground next to the barrel is a minibog nursery where i have a newly purchased flytrap and a tiny parrot pitcher growing, as well as some live LFS.
chibae

cool bog , try rasing an area right in there with a pile of media , make a mini berm , ans sit the sundew atop then wrap lfs live or not around the whole hill as to keep it in place that way the water will have to build much higher.
sundews should take a pretty good pounding of rain but can get a little deep in the soil. try an d. intermedia. it should be able to sit in the water somewhat, from what ive read, and mine are doing fine in a similar situation.
ive got a couple if you like , got anything to trade?

Looks good! Is it always that shady though, or just for a little while? The sarracenia will do best in full sun.

Looks good! Is it always that shady though, or just for a little while? The sarracenia will do best in full sun.

That's just the early morning shade, it gets full sun for the rest of the day

Drosera filiformis does well with rain.
I have had no problems with temperate dews in the rain.
Lots of sun helps.

Back