What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey everyone,

Well here it is, my currently small setup and plants that go along with it. I also have another two shop fixtures that will be set up once the seeds I have going are done stratifying.

You can check my grow list for whats in there exactly.

I had a question about the Drosera I currently have.

The D. Adelea and D. Scorpiodes seem to be doing great. The dew all but dried up on both my D. Capensis but the new growth on the D. Capensis "Red" seems to have dew on it again, the D. Capensis typical doesn't seem to be producing any dew on old or newer growth...not sure whats going on here.

The Nep, Sar and Ping I got from Death Cubes at Lowes this last weekend, someone mentioned that the Sar is probably a Scarlet Belle. Anyone have any idea on the Nep and Ping?

Lastly, the nub of a plant I have is a VFT. When it arrived I took it out of the packaging and I think the leaves dehydrated and died. The root still looked good though and now a week or so later a little shoot came up...glad I didn't get rid of it.

More light and higher humidity will help the dews. Always seems to work for me anyways.. More light the better though. Good rule of thumb.. And as far as the nep, it's most likely an N. ventricosa.
Your off to a great start though. Good looking collection..

everything looks like it should be fine in there but the Sarra, the sarra should be outside in full sun :)
try and lower that fixture down to the top of the tank for more light and get some mylar around the sides ;)

what I do is put something under the plants to raise them up to the lights. In my case, the fixtures are longer than the tank itself.

More light and higher humidity will help the dews. Always seems to work for me anyways.. More light the better though. Good rule of thumb.. And as far as the nep, it's most likely an N. ventricosa.
Your off to a great start though. Good looking collection..

Yeah I just set them in the terrarium on Saturday so hopefully the increase in humidity will help them a bit. I'm thinking that the typical Capensis is still acclimating itself, there is so much new growth on it though its just strange that it isn't producing dew while all the rest are.

everything looks like it should be fine in there but the Sarra, the sarra should be outside in full sun :)
try and lower that fixture down to the top of the tank for more light and get some mylar around the sides ;)

I wish I could put the Sar outside but I'm sure the 110+ degree weather here in Phoenix would be too much for them. Maybe Ill go pick up another one and try it to see how it does. Ill drop the light the inch or so to the top...I also have the option of using a smaller tupperware box that could get the lights about 6 inches from the top rather than the 10 inches it is now.

I was going to spray glue some mylar to some foamboard and place them along the sides...need some more cash though.

another thing I do is fill the bottom of the tank with water (or moist/wet LFS) and use a plexi-glass lid ont he tank to raise the humidity up. Works like a charm..

I would guess the nep to be a sanguinea. ventricosa doesn't have 'wings'. My sang looked very close to what you have there when it was younger.

Dew will be more present when in proper lighting, lower light levels and the plants won't produce as much dew. Humidity will affect the plant initially, but once acclimated, dew should be present in lower RH.

The sarr should be classified as S. Wrigleyana, Scarlet belle is a specific type of Wrigleyana. People often mistake the two.

The ping could be primuliflora. Or that other southern american native ping that looks a lot like it.

Last edited:
Nice setup :)
Btw, how do you post pictures like that? (what bb code)

another thing I do is fill the bottom of the tank with water (or moist/wet LFS) and use a plexi-glass lid ont he tank to raise the humidity up. Works like a charm..

Wouldn't leaving LFS out wet increase the possibility of mold sor fungus?

I would guess the nep to be a sanguinea. ventricosa doesn't have 'wings'. My sang looked very close to what you have there when it was younger.

Dew will be more present when in proper lighting, lower light levels and the plants won't produce as much dew. Humidity will affect the plant initially, but once acclimated, dew should be present in lower RH.

The sarr should be classified as S. Wrigleyana, Scarlet belle is a specific type of Wrigleyana. People often mistake the two.

The ping could be primuliflora. Or that other southern american native ping that looks a lot like it.

Thanks, I'm still hoping to the new growth will have dew on it. In either case when I get home from work today I am going to lower the lights...like I said previously I may switch the container they are in as well so I can still have them sitting in water and be about 4-6 inches from the light.

Nice setup :)
Btw, how do you post pictures like that? (what bb code)

Its from the membership you get for buying something from Andy. You get 175MB of storage on site and you can post thumbnails like that.

blokeman - actually, ventricosa when it is young, has wings ;)

but i agree that it is probably sanguinea judging by the leaf tip...sanguinea are great plants and very vigorous, i have a couple of em as well as a ventricosa, so josh, either way you shouldnt be disappointed. Here is what mature Sanguinea 'Orange' lower pitchers look like
DSC05472.jpg

DSC05473.jpg

and if you get a ventricosa, they are quite pretty too :) and very vigorous as well
DSC05467.jpg

Josh, if you want to know more about growing Sarracenia there in Phoenix, contact Adnedarn the owner of this forum, he can give you a ton of info on growing them there, since he also lives in AZ but in Tuscon i believe....

Josh, if you want to know more about growing Sarracenia there in Phoenix, contact Adnedarn the owner of this forum, he can give you a ton of info on growing them there, since he also lives in AZ but in Tuscon i believe....

Thanks, Ill probably shoot him an email to ask about specifics. My biggest issue outdoors besides the heat is the space and two large dogs that get into everything possible.

haha i know exactly where your coming from with the dogs XD
when i lived in Florida we had too large dogs that liked to get into, an destroy, anything they could get their paws, tails, or mouth at...heat was intense there too lol.
i dont think heat will be a problem to sarracenia though....remember their native range ;)

haha i know exactly where your coming from with the dogs XD
when i lived in Florida we had too large dogs that liked to get into, an destroy, anything they could get their paws, tails, or mouth at...heat was intense there too lol.
i dont think heat will be a problem to sarracenia though....remember their native range ;)

After thinking about it for a second I think its more about keeping the soil moist and the roots cool so they don't overheat.

Some fixes

So this is what I have done to try and get the plants closer to the light. Iv basically flipped over some Tupperware containers and then used some clean to-go containers as dishes for the pots.

Hopefully this will work a bit better for them.

blokeman - actually, ventricosa when it is young, has wings ;)

Hmm, i will have to go through some old pics of my vent now, you got me questioning myself now.

My reasoning behind the sang as choice was based on the pitcher shape actually, how the pitcher seems 'full' in the bottom half, and then there the distinct change halfway up the pitcher where it narrows. That and the wings' 'cillia' remind me of my sang...

Good growing Josh

Update with some changes

Hey everyone,

Ive made a few changes to the racks.

First, I got a second set of lights and now have two racks to grow on. Second, I have replaced the tubes in the lights with 6500k 3200 lumen 4 footers...this increases the lumens on each rack by 2050. Last, I put the second set of lights on the rack above the old one which is about 6 inches shorter and I have moved the plants to that rack...they are much closer to the lights now.

Some new pictures:

I wish I could put the Sar outside but I'm sure the 110+ degree weather here in Phoenix would be too much for them.

even 110 degrees in Phoenix is *better* then being inside the terrarium!
outside, at least it has a chance..
inside the terrarium = certain death within a year or two..

outside is still better..even at 110 degrees..

Scot

even 110 degrees in Phoenix is *better* then being inside the terrarium!
outside, at least it has a chance..
inside the terrarium = certain death within a year or two..

outside is still better..even at 110 degrees..

Scot

Thanks Scot

I have a plan for next spring that should work out well. Going to get a big plastic storage container and half bury it in the backyard and place the pots in it. If I have to Ill fence it off from the dogs.

Back