What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RO and TDS questions.

• Thread starter Exo
  • Start date

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
Most RO systems are just fine, though you simply have to decide upon the capacity desired -- the number of gallons of water produced daily (which can very a great deal with different units); and the TDS meters are simplicity themselves and only require that you dip one end in the water to to be tested, tapping it a bit to dislodge any bubbles or electrical charge. The calibration solution only verifies the setting of the meter and is used infrequently (and takes all of thirty seconds to perform). In my case, the NaCl solution is 242 ppm and I test it every few months or when I am bored out of my skull.

I have used a few TDS meters over the years and now prefer the COM-100 from HM Digital (www.hmdigital.com), available through scientific supply sites . . .

I've changed my mind about the RO unit, I've decided to go with a 50 GPD coralife instead.

AS far as the TDS goes, I'm looking for something affordable but fairly accurate.

As BB said, I would want to know the GPD rating, but it appears to have most of the good stuff
It also appears to take standard sized prefilters and membrane, a big plus...
I would also want to know if it came with a saddle valve and manual flush valve.
You might want to verify shipping, could be a bit with the accumulator tank

If its not a 100gpd I would pass I think (just me... I use a lot of RO)

The TDS meters are a no brainer, stick it in the water, jiggle a bit and read...
Dont worry about calibration fluid

Av

As BB said, I would want to know the GPD rating, but it appears to have most of the good stuff
It also appears to take standard sized prefilters and membrane, a big plus...
I would also want to know if it came with a saddle valve and manual flush valve.
You might want to verify shipping, could be a bit with the accumulator tank

If its not a 100gpd I would pass I think (just me... I use a lot of RO)

The TDS meters are a no brainer, stick it in the water, jiggle a bit and read...
Dont worry about calibration fluid

Av

So I don't need calibration fluid?

no, they come calibrated from the factory.... some include a certificate

I use mine for my plants, coffee, humidifiers, sun tea... and whatever..... they are a great bang for the buck IMHO
Typically, I replace the prefilters every 6 months at 20USD-ish and membrane ever 3-5 years at less then 50USD
Brine rate is typically 3:1 to 4:1, TDS is typically 0-1ppm
my_rodi.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

If you worked in a lab and used the meter alot or needed verification
But buy it if ya want, nothing wrong with having it

Last edited:
......Then why do they sell the fluid? :scratch:

The settings may "drift" over time and the solution is used to return the TDS meter to factory specs . . .

Exo,

David does make a good point...

BTW, you are aware that the coralife RO doesn't include a reservoir tank...
I can go to mine and fill up a bucket in a matter of a minute or two.
Without the tank you cant do that. Due to the application needs, most aquarium/marine based systems don't use/need the tank.

This is a major operational difference that you need to think about up front, and that is fine as long as you know what to expect. To later convert an aquarium system over to a pressurized accumulator tank system is rather expensive.

Av

I use a coral life. I wanted this one as I wanted it to be portable (somewhat). The coral life hooks up to any spigot and works great for me. I also collect the "waste water" to use in my garden. I fill up a 5 gallon jug with RO water to use, and collect the waste water in a 30 gallon garbage can. It was something I thought aboutwhen I was looking to purchase, so it should be considered. Also I have noticed RO units have gone way down in price in the two years it's been since I bought mine. Might be time to upgrade! :grin:

Exo,

David does make a good point...

BTW, you are aware that the coralife RO doesn't include a reservoir tank...
I can go to mine and fill up a bucket in a matter of a minute or two.
Without the tank you cant do that. Due to the application needs, most aquarium/marine based systems don't use/need the tank.

This is a major operational difference that you need to think about up front, and that is fine as long as you know what to expect. To later convert an aquarium system over to a pressurized accumulator tank system is rather expensive.

Av

I plan on getting the 50 GPD model, so I think I can manage using a big bucket or something. I'll mainly use it to fill my ultrasonic humidifier, the distilled water is getting rather expensive if I add it up. :-(

I plan on getting the 50 GPD model, so I think I can manage using a big bucket or something. :-(

Sounds like you've got it figured out then ;)
Av

Exo,
I have never been ripped off on Ebay.
You have to look at the ratings and reviews.
I have never lost anything with much $ spent.

Hi.. I have the same 5 stage ro system. I havent changed the filter since 2 years but don'T use too much. I use for my cp's and i drink myself but generally i'm not at home. So i measured it with tds meter, it's 0.07 ppm. is it ok? What is the max. range of the ppm for using the cp's.

Throwing in my $.02 here. I have this guy. Production rate is decent when you mix the hot and cold taps to the right temperature - I can get a gallon in about half an hour. So I just fill up a couple of gallon containers in one afternoon and I have water for a week or two.

It came with a TDS meter and a 2 gallon fridge container with a tap, but the TDS meter reads 30-something so I think it must not be calibrated correctly. Being that it was free, it's probably also very cheap and inaccurate to begin with. I'll recalibrate it with some NaCL to see what I get.

It's also very tasty water :)

Back