User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to heat LL nep chamber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the size, But I have used a warm mist type (boils the water) humidifier, keept it hot and steamy just how L/L Neps like it
    Last edited by Dodge; 06-29-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of excellent heat mats available for horticultural use. They come in many different sizes. Some even have metal grids that the plant trays sit on top of and the heat is evenly distributed across the entire plant tray/tank. The one I was using..when I was growing petiolaris type sundews, was 4 feet long by 2 feet wide. This unit was plenty big enough for several tanks of varying lowland genera. It had a thermostat that could be set anywhere from 70 to 90 degrees F.

You just have to make sure that the mat istelf is placed on an insulated surface. In my greenhouse I just placed a large piece of Reflectix silver bubble insulation material down first and then set the mat on top of it. You can get this stuff at lots of hardware stores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not trying to hijack but would having the water in the bottom of the tank and just using it to kinda circulate the heat created from the lamps work inversely at night to get night time drops for H/L?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not unless it is in a cold room. For me the temps stay high (about 70F) all night. Which is a cool down, but never below room temperature. And thats only because the lights are off. You would need a way to vent the heat if it gets hot enough and even then the water will never cool below whatever the room temperature is. And it will take time to cool the water if it gets warm during the day too. Adding ice or something to cool the water might work well enough depending on the temps you are getting already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i have a portable a/c unit pumping air into my 50 gallon tank all day so the temps (depending on how i cover the top) are around 83-86 daytime and 70-73 nighttime and daytime 65% humidity and nighttime is 80+. so would the water serve to help the a/c in effectively cooling the tank down a bit more?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea if a/c will do much to water especially if your temps are that high in general, unless you could vent the cold air in through the water? You should insulate the tank, as that is hot for something being air conditioned. That being said, the addition of some water may bring your humidity up and combat a bit of the dry the a/c brings in, but water alone won't solve your temp problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other, and bigger problem with fish-tank heaters is that if they dry out, they have been known to crack the glass on tanks. I'm a member of an aquarium forum as well, and there have been several threads in the last few months about auto-shutoffs failing, and general disaster with heaters. I wouldn't trust it for this application personally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12