User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to heat LL nep chamber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to heat LL nep chamber?

I have to move my lowland nep chamber to the basement, and am wondering the most efficient and economical way to heat it. It's not terribly cold down there, but not warm enough. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is heated by my lights and ballast.
    Chamber is 65 gallon and insulated at back, top and bottom.
    2x 55 watt lighting.
    Outside temp 20ish, inside 30ish. (celcius)
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using a fish tank. You can fill the bottom with water. Enough to submerge a fish tank heater in. You'll have to guess how much water is there to know what size heater you will need. You can dial up/down the heater until you find the right temp you are looking for.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was actively growing lowlanders, I used an adhesive reptile heating mat with a thermostat, attached to the bottom of the chamber; and that worked like a dream, coupled with the usual lighting and timers. The advantage with that method is not having to depend upon an immersion heater with the inherent possibility of the water source drying out . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what your chamber is constructed from, as glass doesn't make good insulation. However, I have a glass 150 gal. tank used for Lowlands that does get and stay warm enough with just the lights on top and water in the bottom. A fan inside the tank, under the lights (separated by glass) blows the hot air off the lights and around the tank. This is enough by itself to keeps the temps warm, but it's a very wide tank with 2 48" shop light fixtures, and a 24" coralife fixture resulting in a total of 6 bulbs. If something like that still isn't enough you could go with a submersible heater if your tank or a reptile mat as Frilleon or BigBella said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    If you are using a fish tank. You can fill the bottom with water. Enough to submerge a fish tank heater in. You'll have to guess how much water is there to know what size heater you will need. You can dial up/down the heater until you find the right temp you are looking for.
    i would not recommend that......forget to fill it up and it all evaporates the fish heater is wrecked.....rather use a reptile heating mat that attatches to the bottom of the tank or that the tank just sits on.....since the heater is never in the water there are no issues....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many submersible heaters will shut off automatically when out of water and restart automatically when they are re-submerged for that exact reason. If you go that route just make sure you buy one with this feature is all. Either way you are still spending probably between $20-$40.

Has anyone used both the aquarium heater and a heating pad and can make a comparison? I wonder if the pad will work as well as an aquarium heater, seeing how it's not really made to heat water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I would assume both will work. I would expect the water heater to be more efficent since you don't have to heat up the glass, also if used without a thermostat the mat will run 24-7. Also should mention that the reptile heat mats are not ment to be used with fish tanks (something holding water). They all have warnings about it. The heat mat runs much hotter the the fish tank heater. I think it's really your preference which one you use.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast