What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's see your grow rack!

Mine is still a WIP and has changes since this photo, but here it is... I'm looking to make improvements, but I guess I need some ideas.

Its the standard 4ft wide shelving from any home improvement store. I am at work not, that photo was on my phone, I will post more later!

2010-06-02%2023.46.48.jpg

Mostly dews... Now have a few more neps in there... gonna add a cfl near them to keep 'em slightly warmer... And don't worry that VFT was only in there temporarily! He's back outside now.

Anyways I want to see yours, and a brief or detailed explanation depending on how complex it is..

~picture

A bit more than a rack.. but this is my set up.

100_4230-1.jpg

it's changed since this pic, but im too lazy to take a new one
DSCN3016.jpg

Picture001-33.jpg

Picture015-5.jpg

Picture014-4.jpg

Picture002-4.jpg

grow racks:)
growarea.jpg

omg zero, that looks like my bedroom in the future! :D

I am impressed! Thanks for sharing!
I would even love to see smaller scale grow areas if anyone has something along those lines..
Jimscott, are those darlingtonias with sarrs? Also how do you do dormancy for your sarrs in ny?

Here's a small tour of my facilities:

Arthropod shelf:
shelves1.jpg

Top tubs: Dubia & Giant Madagascar Hisser cockroaches

Shelf 1: Mantids & other insects in Nano (miniature) vivariums

Shelf 2: Geosesarma sp. Red jungle crabs & Neps, a couple Utrics in "death cubes" (U. fulva and U. nephrophylla) and a small aquatic plant tub.

Shelf 3: aquatic plant containers and a terrarium plant stock tub

on floor another plant tub, bags of live moss in quarantine before use.

The oscillating stand fan is great to have keeping the vivariums air fresh and causing slight air movement in each enclosure that the insects like.

Hard to see along the right edge is my terrarium supplies stack of clear front opening storage bins for food, supplements, fly hatching containers, etc.

1.5 - 3 gallon Nano vivariums and a view into a few of them.
nano1.jpg

nano2.jpg

nano4.jpg

nano5.jpg

nano6.jpg

Geosesarma sp. Red crab & Nepenthes ampullaria vivarium
crabs1.jpg

crabitat1.jpg

Quick take a good look - these little guys are faster than speedy Gonzales on methamphetamines! LOL
crabs2.jpg

The Anoles vivarium, she's in there somewhere amongst the fern
tarantulas.jpg
anole1.jpg

Beneath the Anoles vivarium are the cricket, 2 isopod species and 2 springtail species culture bins

The Tarantulas: Chilean rose hair & Guyana Pinktoe
tarantulas1.jpg

Stock plant tub
tubs1.jpg

Another one this one has some Neps in there Rafflesiana and I can't remember what else! LOL
tubs2.jpg

One of the aquatic plant tubs with Bacopa, U. gramminifolia, Pilea moss, some mini cryptocorynes, a Ping primulifolia and some other stuff.
aquatic1.jpg

Another aquatic tub with riccia, javamoss, javaferns, a couple glossostigma clumps. I do this to them in an effort to cause them to accept emergent growth
aquatic2.jpg

I have lots more I could show but gotta have some surprises for later right?

As of last weeknd, a new shelf! The fun is only begining!

A few converted tanks are on the shelf other are airing out on the patio.
shelves2.jpg

Don't excuse the mess I'm a hobbyist, you know how it is! LOL

Ontop of all this I bought a new Airconditioner on Sat. rated at 8000 BTUs instead of the old 5000 BTU unit I had. Now this drops my rooms temp considerably with the T5 HO lights on and being 90*F+ outside the new AC brings the room down almost as low as I could want so now I will be able to have some darts! yahoo!

Last edited:
fantastic setup Swords. Man!! you got some beautiful facilities there and some beautiful tanks. I could spend hours just staring at them. :D

ah man i remember my growrack when it was in my room...lol
it was intense, i would nearly freeze myself every night to keep my highlanders happy haha.

Holy crap sword! That is amazing!

Wow, some really impressive setups!

I am impressed! Thanks for sharing!
I would even love to see smaller scale grow areas if anyone has something along those lines..
Jimscott, are those darlingtonias with sarrs? Also how do you do dormancy for your sarrs in ny?

Yes they are and I have to tote the temperate collection to co-worker's garages for the winter. This winter it will be a local greenhouse I stumbled upon.

Back