Thread: 10G Paludarium Build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Paludarium Project

Complete Stats:

Tank: 10 Gallon

Filter: Pondmaster w/ Whisper 10i (will be added)

Substrate: 3/4 Peat and 1/4 Perlite

Lighting: 2, 26 watt CFLs

Decoration: Crater Rocks, Driftwood, Black River Rock

Flora:

Terrestrial: Sundew, Venus Fly Trap, Creeping Fig

Aquatic: Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss

Fauna
    Terrestrial: Unknown

Aquatic: Black Babualtis, Nerite Snails

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! Remember though that the vfts probably won't last very long, but the dew might get away with it. Good luck!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look on the far left, I have a window and the VFTs get a lot of sunlight in the morning. Might push the tank more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. Do you collect Sb's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't put any fire-bellied newts in there, because there is too little water in your set up. Healthy, unstressed newts are fully aquatic, and 10 gallons of water is the minimum for even just one newt. Since a good chunk of your setup is land and your tank isn't even half full, I'd say you don't even have five gallons of water, which is a great deal less than the recommended 10 gallons. This would make the water quality and water temperature very hard to maintain.

Also, if the temperatures in your tank are above 75 degrees, then no type of newt would be appropriate. They need it cool or even cold year round, and extended periods of hot (above 75 degree) temperatures can cause stress, immune problems, and eventually death.

Look here: www.caudata.org and its sister sites for the best info on newts available on the web. The people on there know their stuff.

That said, your setup looks great! I hope your venus flytraps do well in there. If not, you could always switch them out for a small growing species of nepenthes in the future.

I'm not sure what animals you could put in there. Tree frogs might be safe, but I'm not sure how well they can swim. Whatever you get, just make sure you do your research before hand, and make the best decision for the health of the animal. If you really want newts, you could always just buy an other 10 gallon terrarium.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watnazn View Post
    Nice. Do you collect Sb's?
    Ishh. I just have two right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven01000 View Post
    I wouldn't put any fire-bellied newts in there, because there is too little water in your set up. Healthy, unstressed newts are fully aquatic, and 10 gallons of water is the minimum for even just one newt. Since a good chunk of your setup is land and your tank isn't even half full, I'd say you don't even have five gallons of water, which is a great deal less than the recommended 10 gallons. This would make the water quality and water temperature very hard to maintain.

Also, if the temperatures in your tank are above 75 degrees, then no type of newt would be appropriate. They need it cool or even cold year round, and extended periods of hot (above 75 degree) temperatures can cause stress, immune problems, and eventually death.

Look here: www.caudata.org and its sister sites for the best info on newts available on the web. The people on there know their stuff.

That said, your setup looks great! I hope your venus flytraps do well in there. If not, you could always switch them out for a small growing species of nepenthes in the future.

I'm not sure what animals you could put in there. Tree frogs might be safe, but I'm not sure how well they can swim. Whatever you get, just make sure you do your research before hand, and make the best decision for the health of the animal. If you really want newts, you could always just buy an other 10 gallon terrarium.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I've been talking to people on caudata.org and they told me a 10G isn't enough for 1 newt. I might end up turning my planted aquarium into a newt set-up or making another paludarium.

Thanks! I've been looking for some nepenthese but can't seem to find any around my area so I might have to trade people on here!

I'm not a fan of frogs and most people recommended frogs. They scare me so they would probably my last choice of animals on there.

I've been looking at Vampire Crabs or a single anole for this set-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw your thread on caudata.org, and they gave you very good information. As they said, 10 gallons is the minimum. If you had just a plain 10 gallon aquarium filled completely with water (no space taken up by land), you could definitely house 1 or 2 Chinese fire-bellied newts comfortably. It's important to utilize the full volume of the tank, so that there's plenty of room for them to swim, and enough water to dilute any waste and keep the temperature stable and cool. So yeah, a planted aquarium would probably be good.

I'll say this: a palundarium complete with animals and plants is wonderful in concept. It's like a tiny natural world in your home, but in practice it is very difficult to provide the proper requirements for each organism therein without compromising the well-being of the other inhabitants. Be careful that you don't sacrifice the health and well-being of your animals and carnivorous plants for the sake of making it look cool. To do so would be selfish and cruel, and in the end, you'd most likely lose out as well. Aesthetics are only worth so much without true quality to back them up.

I understand the frog thing...I have a friend who is so afraid of them that she screams when she so much as sees a picture of one. It's quite funny, but it also proves the point that frogs can be scary.

I just googled vampire crabs, and they are really awesome looking. Very neat and probably your best bet in this set up. Whatever you chose to inhabit your palandarium, please update us with pictures in the future!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven01000 View Post
    I saw your thread on caudata.org, and they gave you very good information. As they said, 10 gallons is the minimum. If you had just a plain 10 gallon aquarium filled completely with water (no space taken up by land), you could definitely house 1 or 2 Chinese fire-bellied newts comfortably. It's important to utilize the full volume of the tank, so that there's plenty of room for them to swim, and enough water to dilute any waste and keep the temperature stable and cool. So yeah, a planted aquarium would probably be good.

I'll say this: a palundarium complete with animals and plants is wonderful in concept. It's like a tiny natural world in your home, but in practice it is very difficult to provide the proper requirements for each organism therein without compromising the well-being of the other inhabitants. Be careful that you don't sacrifice the health and well-being of your animals and carnivorous plants for the sake of making it look cool. To do so would be selfish and cruel, and in the end, you'd most likely lose out as well. Aesthetics are only worth so much without true quality to back them up.

I understand the frog thing...I have a friend who is so afraid of them that she screams when she so much as sees a picture of one. It's quite funny, but it also proves the point that frogs can be scary.

I just googled vampire crabs, and they are really awesome looking. Very neat and probably your best bet in this set up. Whatever you chose to inhabit your palandarium, please update us with pictures in the future!
    Thanks. I have officially decided that the anole idea and the fire bellied newts were off. It's too much of a hassle to have to worry about the newts dying and having to do water changes multiple times and the anole drowning in the tank. It honestly wouldn't want that.

I'm starting to like the frogs since they seem so harmless and they are pretty cool. I just don't know how they'll fare with the CPs. Another downside is feeding crickets but I can handle that.

I reallt want vampire crabs but they are just freaking expensive and hard to find.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast