Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living Clay background test

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever seen this rainforest? http://www.exoticrainforest.com/
    Not trying to steal swords thunder in the least. I imagine a combination of his ideas and those of this site.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I haven't seen that site - very nice! If I ever got the chance to do a Greenhouse it would be all naturally planted like a botanical garden, no pots in the main area.... I can dream can't I? LOL

Here is an updated overall shot:

The Bonfire Begonia's old growth died off but I have new growth made in this tank starting up from it's rootstock so I should get that nice orange splash of blooms back again soon. I had to take out that nice piece of wood I had the Bulbophyllum orchid mounted on because there was something wrong with the wood, the plants mounted on it would die and the moss around it died and refused to colonize it so I pulled it out, I don't like the straight stick so as soon as I find a nice interestingly shaped branch I will pull the straight one, basically it's just there to keep a hole open for placing the new branch. I have more plants coming so maybe one of the new mini orchids will make it into this enclosure.

And after more time with the vampire crabs I've discovered they are a mottled color after molting and then turn purple then back to red & jet black. Also that the molts look (and weigh) almost the same as a dead crab which is what I'd been throwing out (molts) and not dead crabs so I'm happy to report I've not actually lost as many of the crabs as I initially thought. Whew!
    Last edited by swords; 08-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW swords! This tank is impressive. Very beautiful, I've always wanted to set up a tank like this but have the little dart frogs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I've setup about eight tanks using this mudwall recipe so far, some with water features and some without. I've wanted dart frogs for many years too, I will probably will start with the blue Panamanian form of D. auratus. Cheap ($30 or less each) and supposedly hardy compared to $140 O. pumilos who might die because I've never kept them before. Not sure when I will get some though, late this year or maybe next year.

I think my next critters will be a trio of pygmy leaf chameleons (R. brevicaudatus) a species who lives in small harems and can be kept in these types of humid planted vivariums instead of the large arid sun drenched cages like the larger chameleon species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see some sort of Utricularia growing up that wall...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't see it too good in the overall shot but there is a small pinch of Utricularia longifolia getting established just above the lowest twig on the right side. I just used a small pinch cos I didn't know if the moss would stay wet enough, seems good but since i used so little it's taking a while to develop but all the leaves you see now have been made since planting it so hopefully I'll get some larger leaves soon and maybe flowers someday, dare I hope for it! LOL

Here's some more closeups:

Dendrobium princetei , weird cone shaped leaves, I don't know what it's doing, hasn't bloomed but hasn't made a new growth yet either but still nice and green. The moss is doing well around it.

Philodendron on the left and a miniature fern that I believe I got from RSS but I don't recall the name. The dangling bead-chain plant is a Peperomia sp. also from RSS.

I am not sure what the structure is emerging from the clump of Riccia fluritans. Is this a spore bearing "frond"? Has anyone seen this before from a floating/semi attached mat of Riccia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a fern.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those pygmy chameleons are neat, I got to see some at a reptile show a few years back. I got a D. auratus from a friend in the aquarium club when I lived in Hawaii. I've always read that Java moss grew terrestrially, I've just used it in aquariums.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast