What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Living Clay background test

I would love to see some sort of Utricularia growing up that wall...

You can't see it too good in the overall shot but there is a small pinch of Utricularia longifolia getting established just above the lowest twig on the right side. I just used a small pinch cos I didn't know if the moss would stay wet enough, seems good but since i used so little it's taking a while to develop but all the leaves you see now have been made since planting it so hopefully I'll get some larger leaves soon and maybe flowers someday, dare I hope for it! LOL

clay23.jpg

Here's some more closeups:

Dendrobium princetei , weird cone shaped leaves, I don't know what it's doing, hasn't bloomed but hasn't made a new growth yet either but still nice and green. The moss is doing well around it.

clay24.jpg

Philodendron on the left and a miniature fern that I believe I got from RSS but I don't recall the name. The dangling bead-chain plant is a Peperomia sp. also from RSS.

clay25.jpg

I am not sure what the structure is emerging from the clump of Riccia fluritans. Is this a spore bearing "frond"? Has anyone seen this before from a floating/semi attached mat of Riccia?

clay26.jpg

Those pygmy chameleons are neat, I got to see some at a reptile show a few years back. I got a D. auratus from a friend in the aquarium club when I lived in Hawaii. I've always read that Java moss grew terrestrially, I've just used it in aquariums.

Taliesin, I don't know have you see such a thing before? I've never seen a fern germinate in water, on LFS but never in water - is that possible? I would think at the sexual stage of germination the swimming parts would get lost in all the water since it's so much more than a few raindrops...????
Will be neat to see what comes of it regardless!

As long as it doesn't dry out (soak it at least once a day) Java moss will happily grow out of water, much faster than in water too I might add! :)

I'm gonna try some of that xmas moss, flame moss, weeping moss and other fancy aquarium mosses and see how they do out of water and what they look like. I wonder if the java moss will grow into an ever thicker mat or get long and shaggy?

I have never seen any pygmys in person but I've handled my friends and cousins veiled chameleons but these guys are just the right size for me at just 2-3" full grown and liking the high humidity of a planted vivarium. I will have them in a 40 gallon cube so they have plenty of space to get away from one another if they feel like being alone.

Last edited:
I have never seen a fern actually germinate underwater before but it looks so much like a fern im pretty sure it's just that :p

I was thinking it could be a reproductive organ on the Riccia, which is an aquatic Liverwort here's a diagram of a more standard wood land Liverwort showing their reproductive structures:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/File:Liverwort_life_cycle.jpg

So far I haven't found any pics of reproductive structures on any Riccia pics on google.

But it could be a very young fern too as this diagram shows (it is shaped more like the fern sporophyte in this diagram):
http://www.uq.edu.au/_School_Science_Lessons/9.48.4.GIF

Last edited:
I've never seen liverworth make things like that, over here they all look like the typical umbrella's.
Every fern sporophyte i've seen started out looking like that.
I can usually tell the difference between liverwort and fern gametophytes bec the gametophytes seem to form 2 lobes (sometimes 2 small branches at the ends of both lobs) and liverworts just look like 1 lobe at the same size.
I've read a bit about sexual reproduction in aquatic plants/moss/ferns but from what i read none of those spread by seed/spores underwater, just vegetative reproduction, or the flowers emerge above the water to do the pollination etc.
My guess is that it's just a fern gametophyte that germinated somewere and somehow ended up below the water after it did that.

Excuse me while I go set fire to my terra.
Your terra is awsome!!!

Ask and you shall receive i guess! Utricularia flowers would look beautiful in there.

And I agree with you, Taliesin, it does not look like a liverwort sporangiaphore, but rather just a leaf from a developing sporophyte fern somehow washed down to under the water table!

If it's going to be a fern it'll be neat to see what kinda fern it is. I had one leaf of a "ressurection fern" which had a few roots and was covered in spores but the leaf did not root and it finally withered but I was hoping some of the spore would shed from the leaf and germinate. Maybe this is that finally happening - it would be cool! :)

Back