What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some help. A LOT of help.

Chomp

Oops
So a while ago, I was on the chatbox with some people and, if I remember correctly, they said that it would be easier, and less expensive to make a mini greenhouse-type thing out of supplies, than to buy one. (the people who were talking to me probably remember the conversation much better)
How would I do this? Are there any online instructions? And about how much would this cost? Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Chomp.

How big of a structure are you looking to build? Does it need heating and cooling for what you what to grow?

You could easily build a PVC frame and use shade cloth or a greenhouse covering like polycarbonate sheets.

-Josh

I just want to use it to keep out snow and rain, and make it warmer without using heaters, But my real problem is the structure. I want it to be about as big, (probably smaller) And I'd want to add a humidifier.

I just want to use it to keep out snow and rain, and make it warmer without using heaters, But my real problem is the structure. I want it to be about as big, (probably smaller) And I'd want to add a humidifier.

About as big as what?

Warming without heaters can be done a couple of ways. Heat Pads, heat rocks or an aquarium warmer in a jar of water if you have electricity out there, I take it you do if you have a humidifier.

Keeping snow off can be a little more complicated than just putting up a structure. Depending on how big the structure is, the weight of the snow can bend even steel rods. (My father in laws green house had this happen when it snowed for three days in Vegas...who would have thunk it would of snowed in Vegas that long)

-Josh

In the North-East, a greenhouse is essentially useless..
which is why you dont really see a lot of them around..
cant be used at all in the winter, unless you dont mind spending $500 a month for heat..
and April-October there is no real need for one..

see this old thread for a discussion on the topic:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118959

Scot

Without additional information, I assume you are referring to a "cold-frame".
Google it!

If that isn't what you are referring to,
you might try actually describing what you are wanting, :poke:
as you are being very vague in your question, and it is difficult to give advice when you don't describe what it is you are wanting to build. ???
Like what are you planning on growing, where do you live and what are you wanting it to do, etc.

Start with "cold frame". Maybe that is it!
Good luck!

Sorry, I meant about as big as brokkens. I was very tired.
Sorry again, I really should have been more specific. I was hoping to grow lowlanders. I actually have a raff doing very well on my windowsill, (but I really only bought it from the nursery because I knew that some 5-year old was going to buy it, and direct it to its doom) but I'd like to get a much larger collection of lowlanders.
I apologize again for not being very specific, I really need to remember to do these things when I'm not having dreams about being a run-away, LOL
Yes I do have those dreams often.

That looks like it could work, but will that really let in much sunlight?

Or is it meant for plants that don't need much sun?

it works perfectly fine. mine had just clear plastic tarp on it. i think it was like 6 mil thick. (dont ask me what a "mil" is. i just know i doesnt mean millimeter) anyways... its basically just like the plastic sheet stuff painters put down before they paint so it doesnt get everywhere..

edit: oh yeah, the picture in that one link does look pretty dark. i dont know whats up with that. but i see where your question comes from now. dont worry. its plenty bright :)

Cool. I think this is the one! I'm probably going to put in a growlight or two in because the area doesn't bet quite as much light as I'd like it to...
Anyway,
Thank you so much guys! I'll post pictures as I go.
Chomp

Back