Hey TF'ers I wanted to share some pics of my new growth chamber.
The goal was to use some junk material to make a new plant box for the CP's (succulents currently residing). It's amazing what you can do with old scrap.
I started with some metal shelving units found in the parking lot at my work (a little dinged up but nice for structure).
I inserted styrofoam insulation into the shelves and glued wooden boards over the insulation.
The wood boards are covered in 3 coats (some of the have 6...) of White Latex Paint and then sprayed with a protective cover. I know this isnt the most ideal water treatment but I would like to see how long it lasts against high humidity.
Next I joined several of the pieces of finished exterior to form the chamber.
I installed the hollow base and cut a hole in the back of the unit for the fan.
I also joined two pieces for a door and cut a painstaking chunk out of the center for the viewing port. Not sure who received more wear and tear, me or the sawzall : ).
2-23" Fixtures installed up top
Fast forward a week or so and the door is on (I upgraded the hinges recently).
The hatch was just something I've seen at the lab but it was a fun experiment.
Here is an inside shot of the chamber. Underneath the eggcrate is a 3inch deep area for water collection. I lined the bottom with pond liner and installed a drain pipe which runs out the bottom (Cork activated : )
(Those plants are up for trade next door...)
Here is a view through the view port.
That about does it for pictures. The chamber could easily be rigged with a misting device or humidifier or fridge unit or frozen bottles or what have you for environment control. If you have question ask away. It is late and I know this isn't a very cohesive presentation but hope it helps generate ideas.
I have yet to test temperatures and humidity and all of that. So I can post those stats later if desired.
Thanks for taking a peek,