What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Growth Chamber

Hey TF'ers I wanted to share some pics of my new growth chamber.

The goal was to use some junk material to make a new plant box for the CP's (succulents currently residing). It's amazing what you can do with old scrap.

I started with some metal shelving units found in the parking lot at my work (a little dinged up but nice for structure).

IMG_7507-1-1.jpg

I inserted styrofoam insulation into the shelves and glued wooden boards over the insulation.

IMG_7510-1.jpg

The wood boards are covered in 3 coats (some of the have 6...) of White Latex Paint and then sprayed with a protective cover. I know this isnt the most ideal water treatment but I would like to see how long it lasts against high humidity.

IMG_7513-1.jpg

IMG_7514-1.jpg

Next I joined several of the pieces of finished exterior to form the chamber.

IMG_7530-1.jpg

I installed the hollow base and cut a hole in the back of the unit for the fan.

IMG_7534-1.jpg

IMG_7536-1.jpg

I also joined two pieces for a door and cut a painstaking chunk out of the center for the viewing port. Not sure who received more wear and tear, me or the sawzall : ).

IMG_7539-1.jpg

2-23" Fixtures installed up top

IMG_7554-1.jpg

Fast forward a week or so and the door is on (I upgraded the hinges recently).

IMG_7547.jpg

The hatch was just something I've seen at the lab but it was a fun experiment.

IMG_7544-1.jpg

IMG_7545-1.jpg

Here is an inside shot of the chamber. Underneath the eggcrate is a 3inch deep area for water collection. I lined the bottom with pond liner and installed a drain pipe which runs out the bottom (Cork activated : )

IMG_7542-1.jpg

IMG_7579-1-1.jpg

(Those plants are up for trade next door...)

Here is a view through the view port.

IMG_7587-1.jpg

That about does it for pictures. The chamber could easily be rigged with a misting device or humidifier or fridge unit or frozen bottles or what have you for environment control. If you have question ask away. It is late and I know this isn't a very cohesive presentation but hope it helps generate ideas.

I have yet to test temperatures and humidity and all of that. So I can post those stats later if desired.

Thanks for taking a peek,
-Phill

Last edited:
And I was excited to see a chamber filled with Neps... ;)

Impressive. :0o:

Yeah that looks great for just slapping some random parts together.

Outstanding!

Nicely done, nothing like a nice DIY project. 2 thumbs up

WOW AWESOME :0o:

I wish I was that talented, I would have the parts in front of me then say "now what" ???

Amazing project, and love the choice of plants

Very nicely done- it looks awesome. I guess the next step is to load it up with sundews ;)...

Back