Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mini bog for zone 5

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    Trayi is from the Gulf Coast region. Florida Panhandle-ish. Pretty far south. You might get away with it if you mulch like jimscott suggested.
    Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if D. filiformis tracyi was the same as D. trayci itself as there is some controversy over naming I didn't realize.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post
    I would be worried about the roots freezing and dying in a pot (I'm assuming you're talking about an 'above ground' mini bog right?). In the ground they would have some protection from hard freezes, but in a pot I think they would croak- even species native to your area... In the UP it would be a solid block of ice by November
    I'm in southern MI, and I'm still winterizing my purpurea with my other sarrs and VFT's in a garage just above freezing.

I'm new to this too though- am I wrong?

I must say I'm interested to hear others feedback on this. A mini-bog I could leave out all year here would be SWEET.
    Good point, something I didn't think of...I suppose there is always the chance I could move them inside or mulch if this isn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    i have lots of intermedia, if you want i could send you a few, if they dont make it no great loss,
    mine are very invasive here(zone 7) just when you thought you lost them from last season, they show up in every pot near where they were last year, their some what small the first season so can be easily pulled out if you don't want the extras, but i like mine its almost like carpet in some of my pots.
    click on pics for closer view
    That would be awesome! Expect to be hearing from me soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    You are correct. Conventional wisdom holds that none of the plants listed (linearis ?), would live though a zone 5 winter, in an above ground pot, left exposed to the outside elements. I wonder though, what might happen with 200+ inches of snow? That is a lot of snow. Would this provide protection from the brutal winds of winter? Maybe, at least, for a few of the cold heartiest of the CPs ?
    Hmmm, another interesting point. I figured I would try to keep them a bit "shaded" from the snow like on the front porch or someplace like that but I wonder if the snow would help keep the roots from being over exposed to the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Here is a good thread for bogs in similar (or worse) locations. Too bad a lot of the pictures aren't online anymore, but Dom had an outdoor bog going in Quebec. This post in particular is impressive when you think about having a bog under all that!

xvart.
    Thanks!

Looks like the key for some Droseras would be to keep them from flowering. I assume one would just remove the stalks (pedicels?) then before the flowers fully form?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I'm still not exactly sure what to do when it comes to mulching the bog. Anyone with experience have some pointers?

So the planned stock was:

-S. purpurea
    -D. rotundifolia
    -D. filiformis
    -D. anglica
    -D. linearis (?)

Would all these do well with mulching? Or should I just plan on bringing them inside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like anglica is almost impossible to find. I think I'll be substituting in intermedia then. And it seems like linearis isn't exactly the easiest plant to keep alive for very long.

I think I'm going to stick with rotundifolia, intermedia, filiformis and the Sarr.
    Last edited by jpappy789; 07-19-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would all these do well with mulching?

Yes, they should be fine.

Or should I just plan on bringing them inside?

If the mini bog is above ground, like a big undrained pot, then simply put the mini bog in your garage over the winter. Check the pot periodically to make sure it doesn't dry out, and for mold. In the spring put it back out in the sun, and your all set. If you want to you can bag them, and stick them in the fridge for the winter, but its a whole lot easier to just put them in the garage. Your choice.

And it seems like linearis isn't exactly the easiest plant to keep alive for very long.

Sadly, all too true, and its even harder to find than anglica.

I think I'm going to stick with rotundifolia, intermedia, filiformis and the Sarr.
    You could also try Pinguicula macroceras, and/or Pinguicula grandiflora. Both are fairly cold hardy, but they're kind of tricky. I didn't have much luck with either last year, but I'm giving it another try this year, and as Commander Peter Quincy Taggart would say "never give up, never surrender!".

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a pretty good thread a long while back with picture instructions about mulching. I'll see if I can dig it up later.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hunstman: Well, I found a place with all three dews. I thought about doing temperate pings but decided to see what happens with these guys first. Maybe if all goes well I will get some next spring. I've got a moctezumae in the terrarium and still seeing if I'm ping worthy or not LOL.

xvart: that would be sweet if you could find it! I need some tips on how to do it properly.

Thanks again for all the help! I will update when the CPs arrive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123