Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know if my pitcher plant is dieing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The growth spurt alluded to in the original post could be a sign that it is stretching for the light, and would need more, as others have mentioned. It took some leaps of faith on my part, but I did build up the courage to put a few of my hybrids outside in nearly full sun, and are doing quite well! Give it as much sun as you can, should do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by i<3carnivores View Post
    As for media, I use mostly long fibered sphag that has some perlite and orchid bark chips mixed in. It works great.
    I did what you said. I bought sphag, perlite, and orchid. However, I do not know what ratios or even how to mix these things. (How much of each do I use? Am I supposed to mix thoroughly? etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pickyy View Post
    I did what you said. I bought sphag, perlite, and orchid. However, I do not know what ratios or even how to mix these things. (How much of each do I use? Am I supposed to mix thoroughly? etc.)

As much as you want of each, are you sure they are non-fertilized? I'd try to get more sphagnum in the mix so it could retain more water, and equal proportions on peat and orchid bark. So it would be 50% Sphagnum Moss, and 25% Perlite, 25% Bark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Media recipes are one of those things where if you ask 10 different growers, you'll get 10 different recipes. What are your watering habits like? If you're like me and aren't so great about watering regularly, add more sphagnum to hold more moisture. If you water very regularly, go lighter on the sphag and add more bark and perlite.

I agree that it looks like you have a N. x Ventrata...which is a great beginner plant. As long as you don't forget to water it for a month during August (as I did when I had knee surgery), or leave it outside during a frost (I have no excuse for that one), it will be pretty tolerant of a variety of conditions. Good luck!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presto is absolutely correct though.
    I generally use 75% Sphag and 25% perlite and bark. That's just guessing- I don't measure it out...I make sure it's fibrous but airy. For you I'd go ahead and use a bit more sphag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, I forgot to check if all the things I bought are fertilized-free.

Thanks for all your feedback.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I bought E.B. Stone Organics perlite and orchid bark chips.
    I don't know about the moss though because its basically a cube thats held together with a twine thing. I suppose I'll call tomorrow and ask if it was treated with fertilizer.
    Last edited by pickyy; 08-11-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: wrong word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What media you use will depend on a lot upon personal preferences. Some neps can be picky, but most are pretty flexible as to their growing media. I've used all the following formulas with success:

1:1 (Peat moss, perlite)
    1:1:1:1 (LFS, perlite, osmunda fibre, bark)
    2:1 (LFS, perlite) -- which is what I use today.

Ask 10 CPers about nep media and you will get 11 answers.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is LFS?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast