What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new shade rack..

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
Seeing a lot of sunburn on my H/L's lately. So I wanted to build them something to shade them a bit. Thoughts, ideas, concerns.. ?

100_5188.jpg

100_5187.jpg

I dunno.. :scratch: It was a roll of 3 layer plastic wrap I found in my sunroom. The one thing I was concerned about is heat pooling in the top area. Is that going to be an issue even though the front is completely open?

Why not poke a few holes at the top to let heat escape then?

Otherwise, it looks good. Should help diffuse direct sunlight.

There was a reason I didn't do that, but I can't remember why now. SO.. guess I'll get on that tomorrow! lol

There is a material you can buy, Row Cover I believe, which is a sort of Halloween fake spider-web looking substance. Traditionally, you buy it at garden centers to protect your growing vegetables from bugs. I, however, cut it down to size and use it when transitioning plants from indoor to outdoor conditions, effectively using it as a shade cloth. It breaths well, and would even allow for rain to pass through. Perhaps something to look into?

when i used a shaderack in my greenhouse for acclimating smaller neps, i just used a couple layers of black windowscreen that you can buy in rolls at like home depot or something, we had an extra roll of it laying around so i made a cover out of it...involved a lot of stitching and staples lol

I actually have a roll of that black screen. The thought never crossed my mind.. hmm :scratch: So far the temps are perfect in the shade rack. Good light getting through, not too much not too little. I'll look into reworking the top of it I think.

It looks awesome :D
Do you keep them outside all year ?

I actually have a roll of that black screen. The thought never crossed my mind.. hmm :scratch: So far the temps are perfect in the shade rack. Good light getting through, not too much not too little. I'll look into reworking the top of it I think.

By all means, if its not broke, dont fix it! If the plants are happy and you are happy, why fuss!?

Back