What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Garden 2010 End of Summer

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
All of these are from the same complex cross.
CarnivoresAug2010055.jpg

S. oreo x 'Dixie Lace' 2008 cross
CarnivoresAug2010056.jpg

S. 'Dixie Lace'
CarnivoresAug2010011.jpg

S. oreo x 'mooreii'
CarnivoresAug2010052.jpg

S. "Bog Witch"
CarnivoresAug2010051.jpg

autumn color
CarnivoresAug2010047.jpg

unknown rubra hybrid
CarnivoresAug2010046.jpg

S. psittacina x minor 'okee giant'
CarnivoresAug2010041.jpg

D. 'Jaws'
CarnivoresAug2010026.jpg

'Fused Teeth'
CarnivoresAug2010019.jpg

I call it S. "dwarf long lids" because this plant is adult and only grow 10" high with long lids
CarnivoresAug2010013.jpg

D. 'Holland Red'
CarnivoresAug2010022.jpg

S. x areolata "Watsons Pineland Preserve rescue"
CarnivoresAug2010027.jpg

Some of the Bog, needs to be divided
CarnivoresAug2010063.jpg

Various
CarnivoresAug2010066.jpg

S. jonesii x minor "okeefenokeensis"
CarnivoresAug2010058.jpg

S. leucophyllas are whiter than my dog
CarnivoresAug2010061.jpg

can you do a shot of the whole bog ,what are the dimentions, is it all one bog? WOW nice are you going to be offering any divisions , love several will make offers on any your tired of PM me if you like .

The one with these photos is something like 25' long by 5 to 7' wide depending on where your at. I just extended it this spring. As I increase in plants I add on sections.

Wow...that's an awesome bog!

That is phenomenal!! Excellent pictures, super plants, thanks so much for sharing!!

DB,

Wonderful Bog! :boogie:

Makes me want to move to NC even more!
Would love to trade, however your grow list makes me look like a newbie!
But none-the-less, your plants and set-up are an envy! :drool:

Good Growing! :bigthumpup:
And I would highly recommend expanding it twice the size,
as your puppy doesn't need all that lawn!

:water:
Paul

I just L-O-V-E your bog! It's really pretty and has really nice plants in it! You are very lucky! :)
How do you keep the peat from splatting all over the place though?

Beautiful plants! D. 'Holland Red'? Registered?

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Love that 'Fuzed Tooth'!

According to Bob's website 'Holland Red' is a registered cultivar (see http://cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-holland-red-31.html) but now that you point that out notice its probably labeled wrong. I try to keep them all straight but gosh guess I've gotta try harder. Hmm, I'll have to see if I can figure out what it is in the plethora of Dionaea cultivars. Thanks for pointing that out. Your right I should have called it D. 'Fused Tooth'. I probably mispelled something else somewhere Jim. My excuse: I was in a hurry to walk Miss Dixie before dark.

Beautiful plants! D. 'Holland Red'? Registered?

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Love that 'Fuzed Tooth'!

Wow! I love your bog!
How tall does your Bog Witch get?

I was really surprised this year. A couple of the "Bog Witch" pitchers are reaching around 24 inches. Thanks for the compliments. It's been a hobby for years. I've built several bogs over the years for me and one for a nature center. It takes a few hours of labor. Mine are half above and half below ground meaning I dig approximately 16-18" below ground and add 12 more inches above ground with boundaries. I wish I would have used a more natural stone now though.
Wow! I love your bog!
How tall does your Bog Witch get?

I was really surprised this year. A couple of the "Bog Witch" pitchers are reaching around 24 inches. Thanks for the compliments. It's been a hobby for years. I've built several bogs over the years for me and one for a nature center. It takes a few hours of labor. Mine are half above and half below ground meaning I dig approximately 16-18" below ground and add 12 more inches above ground with boundaries. I wish I would have used a more natural stone now though.
:0o: Mine is only about 6 inches right now, I just got it. WOW! I guess I should maybe move it sometime as it will get too tall to see my Cobra Nest.

droserabug, did you get the chance to do an over all shot of the entire bog . I'm looking for some ideas,
and wondering if i could get by with an in-ground bog here in Va. zone 7.
Iis yours right in the ground?

Starting 3 years ago I dug a hole about 16" deep 7' long by ~5' wide.

I went to Lowe's and bought pond liner probably about 10' by 10'. If your lucky you can find one that has been returned and usually they will knock $20 off the price. This size pond liner is normal $40. If you want a bigger bog you can spend more on bigger pond liner. I've heard you can get other cheaper plastics at lowes but I like the expensive stuff because I trust it will last.

1. I dig approximately 16" deep and whatever size I need at the time depending on my budget.
2. Put in the liner
3. Then I use some course sand also found at lowes for installing patio stone; spread it as flat as possible across the ground along the flattended edges of the future bog.
4. After placing the pond liner in the ground but before placing the stone I punch holes (maybe a hole every 2' or so) with a knife or screw driver in the pond liner approximately 4" down from the ground surface or 12 to 14" up from the bottom of the hole.
5. I then start situating the stone over in place.
6. I tuck the remaining pond liner under either the bottom layer of the stone and the ground or the two layers of stone depending on where you have more left over.
7. After the stone is set the way you want it, take a razor blade or knife and cut what little left over pond liner you have away. This way you don't have to look at ugly plastic sticking out the sides.
8. I bug bails of Canadian sphagnum peat moss from lowes or wherever and sand from pool supply stores. They sale me I think 50 lb bags of sand. I used to use play sand but pool sand is better and worth being more expensive to me.
9. I begin adding a bag of sand for every two bails of peat.
10. With a rake or shovel begin mixing the media without puncturing the pond liner.
11. I like to use rain barrels and begin wetting the mix.
12. Be patient; give the media some time to moisten up.
13. Pray for rain.
14. Enjoy the colors and playing bumble bee.
15. Oh yeah, if you have a dog that digs tunnels for a living you can easily loop the bog in with the underground fence.

I've wondered if I have the only electrically wired carnivorous plant bog?
I started small and added on sections at a time to the bog in the above photos. This was 3 years ago.
March2208155.jpg

March2208156.jpg

Se how the pond liner is tucked in the stone.
March2208159.jpg

Outcome
DSC02247.jpg

Over years I have just opened up one end of the original and dug a new hole followed by additions of more pond liners. This photo was taken Spring 2010.
PitcheroftheMonth088.jpg

I suppose you could use treated wood also similar to what Buckner does on here. Look up some of his threads if you get a chance. He's got awesome bogs.

I was a student of Dr. Mellichamp at UNC Charlotte. His technique and love for Sarracenia inspired me. I got the idea from their bogs and also the bogs at UNC Chapel Hill although theirs are better built. Building these can be labor intensive. The more time the better the outcome.
You should visit there if your ever the NC way.
Here is a photo of one at UNC Charlotte. They have several like this.
March2208190.jpg

Last edited:
how do you add to your original without taking out the original liner but still have it watertight? I seems to me that it would seep out at the seam, unless it's three separate bogs that are mushed close together and look like one continuous bog?

I was at UNC Charlotte this summer... there are only 2, at least now.
Very nice bogs! (Both you and UNC, and NCBG)

very nice pics and instructions , if and when i do one , ill do a few pics as i go .:0o:
Thank you for the time you've put in to this thread.
nice growin,:-O

how do you add to your original without taking out the original liner but still have it watertight? I seems to me that it would seep out at the seam, unless it's three separate bogs that are mushed close together and look like one continuous bog?

Good question: I wrestled with this question while extending them but with trial and error it wasn't a big deal.

You can't see it in the photos but in between each new bog I built up a stone/dirt wall underneath and made sure to lay each pond liner over/under that stone border (with whatever cheap/free gathered stone I could find) underneath and then just fill over the top with media. If you have nice water holding capacity underneath it will work. Your going to lose some here and there anyway. I would have used one huge pond liner from the start if I could have afforded it at that time but you can extend these things peice at a time with some trial and error.

I did a bog extension last year. Mine is grounded though, so I just added another tarp. And now I need to make a new bog...

LOL! I'm guessing it wasn't named after the country!

Back