Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats going on in my bog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like those filiformis are going dormant too... If you buy in plants in the summer, especially barerooted, added with the shock of any extra heat you have going on from an especially hot summer, they can sorta freak out and go into dormancy. My D. rotundifolia did it in the past... then died. I learned my lesson and bought one this spring.

Interestingly- I bought a D. filiformis at the same time from the same person, and it looked good for about a week then formed a hiberculum. It tried to send up little plantlets on the side but those all failed, and now i think its dead. Strangest thing...

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't sounds promising. Well, the filiformis still is sending up new growth though the rotundifolia hasn't for a couple weeks it seems like, or at least I'm not noticing...hopefully they make it through dormancy but if you're correct maybe I'll just have to order more in the spring.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the filiformis red in your photos is definitely not dormant, it does not have a hybernacula...
    what your seeing is the new growth emerging from the center, unstuckintime...
    The rotundifolia however, does appear to have a small hybernacula, and thats quite common for this species to go in and out of dormancy it seems, especially after repotting them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet the flower stalks were still green you got the plants, and so "blended in" somewhat with the regular leaves, and you didnt notice they were "different"..

then they turned brown and died, *then* you suddenly noticed them! because they then stood out..
    but they were there all along!

Scot

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperate sundews have a hunkered down look when going or being dormant. D.filiformis and D.hybrida form a white, cottony growth at the crown.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    the filiformis red in your photos is definitely not dormant, it does not have a hybernacula...
    what your seeing is the new growth emerging from the center, unstuckintime...
    The rotundifolia however, does appear to have a small hybernacula, and thats quite common for this species to go in and out of dormancy it seems, especially after repotting them...
    That's another thing I was wondering...are these actually filiformis red? I specifically bought typical because the seller also had reds available. Hopefully he didn't screw up my order. I thought maybe they were just getting a lot of sun.

Since these don't require dormancy would it be unwise to put them through dormant conditions?
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reds if grown from seeds have weak dormancy. the non dormant form is a selection from these plants showing weak dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my filiformis frequently have the white cottony growth most of the year but arent dormant until the appropriate time...and filiformis red has a very week dormancy, if its the florida all red variety...doesnt even technically need one AFIK....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast