What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats going on in my bog?

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I've noticed these odd, twig-like growths coming out of both my D. filiformis and D. rotundifolia. Any ideas what is going on?

Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about from the pics but let me know if I need to point them out...the ones from the filiformis are sticking both straight up like the other leaves (dead leaves?) as in the first pic but there are also some skinnier ones along the top of the media if you can't see them in the third pic. They look more like tendrils of something. In the second pic you can see a thicker one just coming right out almost like a flower stalk gone wrong, although I never saw anything close to buds being produced. I also can't tell if the rotundifolia is already wanting to going dormant because I'm not exactly sure what their hibernacula are supposed to look like. It wouldn't surprise me since I moved and the temp is on average 10-15 degrees cooler here than before but neither rotundifolia plants have grown much this summer. It seems like every new leaf just died back again which is odd since everything else grew like gangbusters since I got them about a month back.

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Sorry, the pics are backwards. Switch the first and third to match my descriptions.

im guessing you're kinda new to CP's?

those tendril like growths you see coming out of your sundews are what's left of the flower stalks during the spring season.

your rotundi does look like it's making a hiberculum--kinda early in my opinion, but i've recently heard around the forums that everyone's plants are beginning to do it.

Problem is that I got these in mid-July and they were not on the plants when I repotted. I thought maybe recent flower stalks but I found it odd since I never saw anything indicating that they were going to produce anything other than just the stalks. No buds, nothing. Huh.

And yes, this is my first "year" with CPs.

yeah, because they were already done flowering, and the person who had them prior snipped them off.

Dang...any idea what made them abort flowering so soon? or does it just sometimes happen?

nobody said the flowers were naturally aborted by the plant.
the grower could have let them flower, then snipped the stalks to collect seed.

oooohhhh...well I'm wondering then why I didn't see these when I planted them then...I assume it is safe to trim them off?

maybe you werent looking for them? yes, if it is brown, it is safe to trim.

Looks like those filiformis are going dormant too... If you buy in plants in the summer, especially barerooted, added with the shock of any extra heat you have going on from an especially hot summer, they can sorta freak out and go into dormancy. My D. rotundifolia did it in the past... then died. I learned my lesson and bought one this spring.

Interestingly- I bought a D. filiformis at the same time from the same person, and it looked good for about a week then formed a hiberculum. It tried to send up little plantlets on the side but those all failed, and now i think its dead. Strangest thing...

That doesn't sounds promising. Well, the filiformis still is sending up new growth though the rotundifolia hasn't for a couple weeks it seems like, or at least I'm not noticing...hopefully they make it through dormancy but if you're correct maybe I'll just have to order more in the spring.

the filiformis red in your photos is definitely not dormant, it does not have a hybernacula...
what your seeing is the new growth emerging from the center, unstuckintime...
The rotundifolia however, does appear to have a small hybernacula, and thats quite common for this species to go in and out of dormancy it seems, especially after repotting them...

I bet the flower stalks were still green you got the plants, and so "blended in" somewhat with the regular leaves, and you didnt notice they were "different"..

then they turned brown and died, *then* you suddenly noticed them! because they then stood out..
but they were there all along! ;)

Scot

Temperate sundews have a hunkered down look when going or being dormant. D.filiformis and D.hybrida form a white, cottony growth at the crown.

the filiformis red in your photos is definitely not dormant, it does not have a hybernacula...
what your seeing is the new growth emerging from the center, unstuckintime...
The rotundifolia however, does appear to have a small hybernacula, and thats quite common for this species to go in and out of dormancy it seems, especially after repotting them...

That's another thing I was wondering...are these actually filiformis red? I specifically bought typical because the seller also had reds available. Hopefully he didn't screw up my order. I thought maybe they were just getting a lot of sun. ???

Since these don't require dormancy would it be unwise to put them through dormant conditions?

reds if grown from seeds have weak dormancy. the non dormant form is a selection from these plants showing weak dormancy.

my filiformis frequently have the white cottony growth most of the year but arent dormant until the appropriate time...and filiformis red has a very week dormancy, if its the florida all red variety...doesnt even technically need one AFIK....

That doesn't sounds promising. Well, the filiformis still is sending up new growth though the rotundifolia hasn't for a couple weeks it seems like, or at least I'm not noticing...hopefully they make it through dormancy but if you're correct maybe I'll just have to order more in the spring.

I didnt mean to be a nay-sayer! I was just sharing that I haven't had much luck with this species! I still cant grow D. adelae for crying out loud. And as far as ordering more in the spring- you should anyway, perhaps you will feel compelled to now that you've caught the CP infection!

reds if grown from seeds have weak dormancy. the non dormant form is a selection from these plants showing weak dormancy.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that was the distinction.

my filiformis frequently have the white cottony growth most of the year but arent dormant until the appropriate time...and filiformis red has a very week dormancy, if its the florida all red variety...doesnt even technically need one AFIK....

Hmm, so you're saying I have the 'red' but not the 'FL all red' variety?

I didnt mean to be a nay-sayer! I was just sharing that I haven't had much luck with this species! I still cant grow D. adelae for crying out loud. And as far as ordering more in the spring- you should anyway, perhaps you will feel compelled to now that you've caught the CP infection!

Oh not a problem! I havent had much luck with these guys either so far and I think I will be getting more, maybe from a better source, in the spring anyways.

Your plants look like they're exhibiting typical end-of-season growth to me. When the filiformis start going dormant, you'll know -- there will be a giant silver, cottony blob in the center. they do this to reflect the sunlight so that they don't overheat.

Back