What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium project: Lights and tank not an issue!

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
So I'm on a project to convert one of my bio teacher's 3 dozen or so extra fish tanks into a carnivorous plant terrarium for him. Those and the 40-50 lights and fixtures of every variety (I'm talking from 2 watt LEDS to 450 watt high pressure sodium grow lights) make the big problem what plants to put in. Issues may be lack of misting, not being watered over the weekend, and a small chance, if I can't find heating pads, lack of heat on the weekend. So I'm looking for plant suggestions, or other suggestions and warnings.

Nothing too boring or expensive. Easy but nice looking neps, dews, or anything basically tropical is what I'm looking for. It's not really going to be a terrarium, more like a separate pot tank with lfs packed in between pots for the occasional dew.

Thanks, happy growing!

I tried the in between LFS look to start but it ended up being harder to keep the plants well watered than just placing them in standing water or trays (minus Neps). It also keeps the humidity more stable IME. Even if it looks less glamorous I only need to add water maybe once or twice a week depending on the weather and most everything is growing just fine. Granted, I am only keeping some of the easier tropicals at the moment but it is a very easy to keep setup. But it's all up to you.

I guess for heat you would have to do some experimenting to see what temps are like with the lights on and off. That may be the ultimate deciding factor if you cannot heat the tank externally. I know that my tanks stay about 70-80F (using CFLs or T5s) even when the ambient temp is closer to 60F. Nighttime is different though, obviously.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but there are a variety of dews that would work just fine. Basically anything not temperate. I suppose when it comes to Neps you would probably need to figure out what temps and humidity will end up looking like.

Back