What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grolux Wide Spectrum Bulbs 20 Watts

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've got a grow rack and a mini-greenhouse / terrarium with 2 - 24" bulbs per fixture. Do 40 Watt bulbs exist? I'm not getting the color that I would like to see on them, particularly Petiolaris Complex.

how close are your plants to the lights? mine are about 3-4 inches away from the light source.

What's the current wattage?

I had two - 24" T5 HO bulbs on my old shelf (which I still use on my current) and they gave me leaf burn like no other when I had them too close. Once I had the distance right I got great coloration and minimal leaf burn.

I have 2-20W bulbs in the fixture and they are ~3" above them.

Oh wow. My reading comprehension was terrible there. :blush:

I have used agrosun brand in the 2' and 4' with great results in both growth and color. The only way I see to get a 40 watt bulb is to move up to the 4' bulb. If your looking for better color nothing really beats the T5. My plants colored up much brighter when I moved them from the agrosun bulbs to T5's. I'll keep looking to see if there are any bulbs in the
2' lengths that are 40watts but would guess there are not going to be a lot.

I am limited to 2' bulbs. I may also be limited by wattage allowed. Not sure yet.

You can get higher wattage 2' bulbs but you need different ballasts to run them vs the 20w tubes. The amount of light a fluorescent bulb puts out is based on the ballast not the bulb.

Understood. A new fixture / ballast is necessary.

Back