Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: going to the store to get things to start my Terrarium,, I need a list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is how I was told to care for them
    .They each have produced a new leaf since rooting so it shouldn't be long before they really start to take off for you. I don't know if you're familiar with cuttings, so fyi all the lower leaves have been cut in half to reduce moisture loss. They may start pitchering on the next leaf grown in your care, or it may take a few.

They are hybrids of highland and lowland nepenthes. Intermediate temps are fine, but they will also grow in either highland or lowland conditions. Really anywhere from 50 to 70 F at night and 60 to 85 during the day. The main plants that I've cut these off of used to be grown outside and have tolerated many nights into the mid 40s and days above 100 F and have been fine, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for that, lol.

They like humidity above 60%, but may just not pitcher for you in lower, it depends on your other conditions. They have grown faster for me in a terrarium, but it's not necessary.

Light should be bright indirect, like a south facing window, or a well light terrarium with 6500k to 10000k bulbs. More light the more colorful the pitchers. If the leaves start getting a reddish tinge, it's like tanning for us, but any more and they can burn. When they start to make pitchers for you, if the pitchers are small and green the plant needs more light. That's usually how I adjust things when making a new setup, as everyone's conditions are so different, there's no right answer.

Also your potting mix should be able to hold moisture, but also be fast draining. I've been using a mix of longfiber spagnum, perlite, bark, and charcoal with good results, but you can modify to suit your watering habits. There are so many recommendations out there you might want to do a little googling for all your options. And don't forget to use water that has less than 100ppm tds. If your tap has more use rain, distilled, or RO water.

I have 2 lamp sockets and I just want to make shore I have them at the right temp and humidity. So I am going to get a temp/humidity meter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you do get a thermometer, things can get rlly hot rlly fast if you put a lot of light on top of that thing imho.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian here, ok so I got 2 90w CFL bulbs to start with and a Thermometer /Hygrometer.
    at this time with the lights running for a little while I am at 70.3 f and 100% humidity...
    made a nice top for the cage and set the lights in it.
    What do you suggest I use for air circulation?

I also have a timer for my lights,,how long should I run them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey brian, like others mentioned (dont feel it was stressed enough) the color spectrum must be correct and the cri should be above 85 (if i remember correctly from butch's posts). if your going with the screw on cfls like i see youve done, you gotta make sure they're 5500-6500k, daylight and with a cri above 85, it should say all this information on the boxes. i know some people mix their cfls with soft white bulbs as well.

my two cents.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this what you are talking about javortex93
    2700K color temperature and what are you talking about above 85?
    aximum Bulb Wattage (Watts) 26.0
    Color Rendering Index- 82
    Bulb Application- Fluorescent
    Number of Bulbs- 2.0
    Indoor / Outdoor

I will take them back in the morning...so can someone tell me when to get,,,I would like to stay with the same kinda bulb,,,kinda on a budget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I got up this morning to find new growth,,,,does most of the new growth happen at night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CRI is the color rendering index. With your bulb having only 2700k and a cri of 82, you don't have enough light. I would exchange it for something 6500k and a cri of over 85.

Also, yes, in simple terms plants will produce the energy they need during the day, but will use that energy to fuel it's growth, (amongst other things) at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry ive been late to add to this thread, okay i would suggest (if your only option are cfl's) are getting the 42 watt cfl from feit, they're on amazon for less than 9 dollars, if you sign up for amazon prime (free, just cancel after you recieve your order) its free 2 day shipping. id get 2 or 3 of them. your talking 27 dollars. or 18 if you only get two. i understand about trying to stay on the cheaper side of things, but these are defenetely worth the price. they're the right cri and 6500k as well. they are a tad bit bigger and put off a little more heat but the fan should displace the heat beautifully. your plants will not show changes to the enviorment they are kept in for weeks, so the lights you have them in right now MIGHT have set them back a little bit but they should bounce back and better than ever with the cfls from feit electric. not sure whats going on with amazon ATM but its saying 48 dollars for one. so id just monitor that as its probably just a mistake.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast