Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: going to the store to get things to start my Terrarium,, I need a list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well for now this is what ive found, (since amazon's price for the bulbs have hiked up extensively)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-4-Photo-Stud...item3cb0d919d8

its a bit more but you get 4 instead of 2-3, for the same price and you get a bit stronger of light bulbs. =]
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as it turns out I was going out of town and had to get some lights in there so I went back to lowes and got 2 micro mini CFL's 100w replacement using only 23w, they are 6500k and on the package it tells me they have 1,450 lumens each?
    can I use there as they were the biggest 6500k CFL bulb I could find a lowes,,,if I use these should I get another bulb or what should I do?
    With the 2 bulbs the temp is 73 and when the fan is on it goes up a little to 75.3, do I need another bulb?
    also the little fan only runs when I am home because I wired it to a small power converter and don't trust it running when I am not home.

I just got home after going away for 5 days and I am guessing they like the new light and I now have the leaf that was laying down now growing straight up....I am downloading a pic now..

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

ok before I left on wed, they looked like this

and 5 dyas later they look like this with the 2 new bulbs,,

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

ok before I left on wed, they looked like this

and 5 dyas later they look like this with the 2 new bulbs,,they look much better and the color looks better

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

any thoughts

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

also how far do they need to be above the plants?

these bulbs are VERY bright and it I had to add one or 2 more bulbs I would..
    I plan to add a few more neps soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian,

Ive had the 23 watt bulbs before and i gotta say ud have to have at least 3-4 (just get the twin socket adapter that they sell at lowes, home depot, that way you wouldnt need to get more lamps) with two they grew good, but they'll do better with 4. Ive heard for the most part 6 inches or closer, but the ones you got now displace a good amount of heat to the immediate area so id monitor leaf burn from heat. Oh btw any leaf burn from the light intensity changing you may experience from adding stronger lights is expected as the plant puts out newer leaves it will get used to the stronger light and will grow better. I think you'll be set with 1 or 2 more of those 23watts. I hope that helps.

-Javier
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so here is the question, this is set up in my living room,,,,and it is very bright with 2 bulbs,,how to i keep the light down so we don,t get blinded from the light,,

also with 4 bulbs you say they need to be 6 inches from the plants top,,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, if you cover all the sides with reflective sheeting (mylar) and the front you leave just held down by a clamp or something of the sort you can still look at your plants daily by just lifting the 'flap' part of it. now for the second part, thats where the thermometer comes in handy. see how hot it gets at the plants surface at the given distance. so the ideal temperature would give you the ideal distance (while not exceeding 6-8 inches as that would decrease the intensity of the light once it reaches the plants leaves).

I had my tank covered completely and id only look at the plants from above and id take them out for pictures and such. its just a matter of how you would prefer to look at them, from a straight foward or from above/taking them out POV.

-Javier

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123