User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My grow rack: criticism, please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I would say, no need to edit your posts if that has not been pointed out before(just a thought)
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Well, I keep my temperate and tropical dews in the bug tub with a 3/4" or so water level. I keep a much higher water level for the sarr, the VFT, and the P. Primuliflora just because I've read that they like lots of water. Should I stop?? Very interested here - I don't want to piss them off more than they already are!

I wish I could put those sarrs and VFTs outside, but alas, I'm in a second-floor apartment, and none of my windows get consistent enough sunlight in the summer to make for a good windowsill growing environment. I've seen folks here who do a nice job growing VFTs and purple pitchers on their racks, and that's what I aspire to do. I don't so much care if they don't grow to their full potential, but as long as I don't kill them outright, I think my rack is a happy compromise for those plants.
    You are going to kill them. Especially the vft. If you don't just keep everything moist. (I have my main grow table in full sun in the heat of summer with no water in the tray and everything does fine.) Being on the dry side is much safer than overwatering. CPs recover from dry well--wet, not so well.

Only water your plants (goes for all of them since you're growing inside) when the soil isn't moist to the touch or looks on the dry side. Don't sit them in water.

I'm glad you enjoyed the trade, and I'm also glad I'll be getting some seed!

Happy growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, so the tray method is a no-no for indoor growing? I can't believe I haven't picked up on this before. Even for my tropical dews and pings, they should NOT be watered with the tray method?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, trays are for catching draining water and keeps the water from going into the carpet.

I like to top-water; as the draining water (thanks Mister Gravity) pulls oxygen down into the soil.

Roots like that.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sit all my dews, sarrs and vfts and pings in water and haven't had a single one rot. I do keep the water level lower for the vfts though, just an inch or two of water in the tray, for the others I keep it halfway up the pot.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may not have spend the money on expensive grow light tubes, but rather have mixed cool and warm white tubes.

As far as watering goes you just have to see what works best for your conditions. What works well for someone in the Mediterranean semi-arid climate of Southern California may not work well for someone in NYC. And what works well for some species may not work as well for others. Mostly it's a matter of experience in learning on how changes in cultivation affect your plants. It may come intuitively to the rare individual but again mostly it's experience.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for that info. I definitely have plenty of experimentation to do, and plenty of plants to experiment with

and Not a Number, yes, if I were to do it all over again I'd probably just get some 2700K and 6500K lights and mix them. At $18 each, the pair of grow bulbs was the single most expensive part of my rack besides the rack itself!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    InB4 - you can't grow Sarracenia inside!

Just kidding, well not really, but I've heard one season of indoor terrarium wont kill them. Other than that your plants look great for the most part!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast