What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my CFL bulbs keep burning out---ant idea

ok I am running 3 cfl bulbs in my terrarium and on one side I have a splitter so I can run 2 bulbs from one spot..well I came home today to find that one of the bulbs one the splitter had burned out for the 2nd time,,,any ideas?

You would have to define the splitter better. You can have a bulb splitter (two bulbs on one cable) or you can have a cable splitter (two cable plugs into one wall outlet).

Each bulb should have it own cable/hood rated to handle the wattage of the bulb. I would assume the splitter is causing the issue.

well I have 3 bulbs in my tank but only 2 ballasts one has a bulb splitter. I have burned our 2 bulbs so far with the bulb splitter...do i need to add another ballast???? I gess I know the answer to that one,,,yes...
whats up CP-connection,,,,it is nice to have a neighbor on here,,,

Its not important how many bulbs you have on each ballast.
The important thing is if you have the right amount.
Each ballast is different imho, some are just for 1 bulb, some are fine with more

You're just talking about one of those screw in Y splitters right?

It's probably just over heating. Most CFL's are marked "not for enclosed fixtures" or "do not enclose completely". The heat of both lamps in close proximity is probably too much and the circuit board in the lamp gets fried. Try adding a fan or otherwise improving air circulation.

BTW is the single socket rated to handle the combined wattage (actual not equivalent) of the two lamps? If not you could be looking at blown fuses or an electrical fire.

crap,,my wife would kill me if i started a fire...thanks

Back