1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your purps will be having indigestion and puking up ladybugs for *months*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha! I'm thinking I'm going to start out with an organic spray (such as neem) on one or two plants and see what happens.

Humorously, I've been feeding the aphids to my seedlings, pygmies, and one Ping. Play with fire, you're gonna get burned!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doktor Doom

This stuff will kill everything but your plants. The active ingredient is pyrethrin and it works fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a lab of illicit activities in disguise as a plant spot JK
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but I think your two ventricosa leaves are suffering from a terminal condition known as old age xD New growth seems healthy, I wouldn't worry

As for the aphids issue, I found the little buggers infesting my VFTs and some sundews. A pyrethrine based insecticide spray worked wonders and they've all perked up since. I couldn't find neem oil locally though, but that definitely sounds like an environment friendlier solution if you can get some. Keep us updated and good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I use this stuff called Green Light Fruit Tree Spray on mine. It's mainly neem oil and pyrethrines. The stuff even smells like oranges! I must be using it wrong, though, because new aphid infestations just keep popping up in random pots! SO FRUSTRATING. I can't get into every crevice and under every leaf, and wouldn't you know, it's exactly the spot where those little s choose to lay their evil, evil eggs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the aphid infestation hasn't seen much change. I'm testing an imidacloprid insecticide on some plants. A day after application, I'm still finding live aphids. But I also found a leaf covered in dead ones, so maybe it just needs a little more time, being a systemic.

In other news, I chopped all the bog grass down to the soil level to cripple it until I give the entire bog new media and can get it all out. I also ripped a few of the small chunks out and that was a serious chore - the stuff has a root system unlike anything I've ever seen. I'm sure, as suggested by seedjar, the grass is choking the heck out of the other plants in the bog, so it's done taking up residence in my bog. My D. adelae, across the entire bog, has seen some decline recently, and pretty serious decline in some areas. I can only attribute it to the grass. So what I'm going to do, probably next week once finals are over and I'm in for summer break (woo!), is rip EVERYTHING out of the bog and dump all the media. While everything's out, it will all be thoroughly inspected for aphids and, if even one is spotted on the plant, sprayed with insecticide. Then everything goes back into the bog with new media - that friggin' grass all gone.

On that note: does anyone have any advice on how to keep all the plants from being dried up (the roots) while they're out of the soil? Can I do something like put them all on a wet towel and put wet paper towels over the roots? That's essentially how I ship bare-root, so I figure it should be fine for a few hours that way.

Also in other news, while I was pulling up some of the grass, the entire chunk of media lifted up with it (yes, the root system on that grass is insane enough to essentially turn the entire bog into one big block of peat and perlite). Figured I'd take the opportunity to poke around. I saw about eight gazillion D. adelae babies growing from roots smashed up against the (clear) side of the bog. Took those out and stuck them in my sphagnum chamber - a move I will, no doubt, end up regretting. I also found a couple D. adelae roots that were a good 12" long, so I chopped those off and snipped them into 1" segments for propagation. Hopefully I'll be able to do a big ol' D. adelae giveaway in a couple months. Here's a couple shots of some of the funky growth that was going on under the soil level (ignore the dirty finger(nail)s, you understand. ;p

That's a plant growing on the end of a leaf... Drosera adeliflora? XD

Big ol' clump of babies.

We'll see how things go over the next few weeks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ant got away... bah...

Also, I screwed up the image resizing, so definition may not be stellar. I think I might be starting to get the hang of this, though. Time to get better software than Windows Movie Maker.

A number of things went wrong with this one, so I'm not proud of it, but oh well.

Music is Schubert's Serenada.