Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: _ReApEr's Carnivorous Adventures [Picture HEAVY]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a new shipment of plants and got them all situated. Who doesn't love getting new plants!?

Cephalotus!

P. moranensis 'Tehuacan'

D. prolifera; I decided just to get this one into the minibog, assuming it'd do well based on the D. adelae in the minibog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooooooh, very nice!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mini-bog looks great, no doubt about it. But really, yeah if this is your first year growing, you want to get into the hang of giving your flytraps dormancy. Unfortunately for your setup to work well in the long run you will need to remove the Dionea and put them in either their own mini-bog, or in their own pots which you can place in and out of your existing mini-bog.

The flytraps don't necessarily have to go in the fridge. One thing you can do is put them on your window ciel - assuming it's cooler than the rest of the house. Even if it is not significantly colder, the shortened photoperiods will help give them dormancy. I imagine it's very cold there already, but it's also not a bad idea to maybe even put them outside.

Like I said, your mini-bog looks really stunning. But you've made a mistake that will be detrimental to some of your plants in the long run.

You can't really successfully grow tropical plants with temperate plants for the long haul. Your fly traps look terrific right now, but if not given the break they need, they will suffer with a few months. Likewise, I don't think your gorgeous dews would appreciate any kind of cold/dark dormancy.

I've heard a lot of mixed messages as far as the fridge method goes. If I were you, and seeing as you seem to have a natural feel for the hobby already, I would make yourself a Temperate mini-bog, and a tropical minibog. You've already got the Tropical one well established. Now you just need to make a second one that all your flytraps and the Sarracenia you will undoubtable accrue can reside in.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, guys.

Dexenthes, I was actually planning on doing just that - taking the temperates out and keeping them in pots in the grow rack during growing seasons (possibly even outside; just bought a house and will have plenty of outdoor room to give them a try) and the garage for winter. The bog, I was going to make a dew-bog, nothing but dews. I think I have a pretty good setup for dews in there. It's a 1:1 peat and perlite mix, it's got 81 watts of 5000K CFLs and 54 watts of 6500K CFLs, for a grand total of 135 watts of CFL light over it, and it's automatically watered every day via pump for thirty minutes, the excess water allowed to run into the reservoir and maintaining an inch of water about four inches down from the soil line.

I was initially reluctant to try plants outside since Colorado is, indeed, a mile closer to the sun than their natural environment and is also pretty dry. The wicked thunderstorms we get around here during the summer also scare me since marble- to golfball-sized hail is not necessarily uncommon. Those factors mixed with the fact that I simply didn't have a lot of outdoor room this year, being in a townhouse, and I just decided to stick them in the bog for this year. I had 4 Sarracenia species outside for the summer and they did pretty well, so I'm definitely going to try others, like the Dionaea, outside this coming spring. They did well in the minibog this summer, however, both the Dionaea typical and 'Red Dragon' flowering. I'm also allowing them to flower right now in order to have a nice reserve to experiment with this coming spring, both indoors and out.

However, speaking of the Sarracenia I have, I currently have them sitting in a window sill with the wiindow slightly cracked. It's much too cold these days to leave plants outside - even the native Colorado plants are saying their goodbyes as we're getting into the low 20s overnight now. I think I'll put the Dionaea that are not flowering in the sill with the Sarracenia and as soon as those that are flowering are done, they'll join. Do I not need to cut anything back on any of these plants? Just let them do their thing, go dormant?

Thanks for the advice, it's super, super appreciated by such a newb. ^.^

You do raise a very interesting point, however. If I find the temperates to be able to deal with the harshness of Colorado, I'll definitely be doing something specifically for them. I don't know how "mini" it will be, however. >;D Then again, the dew bog will probably also end up expanding if I find dews do well outdoors here. Time will tell!

EDIT: I just stuck my temperature/humidity sensor in the window sill with the Sarracenia because, well, numbers are never a bad thing. ;p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that humidifier like a humidifier for child care? I had never though of that. It would work. I wonder if a vaporizer would work for highlands. Or iis it a more powerful vaporizer and if it is where did you get it?
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Details on the humidifier here. It works out pretty well for me and was relatively cheap. You'll be using 2 55g tanks, yeah? I imagine one of these on each of those tanks, maybe even one for both if you get creative, would work out pretty well. It is a humidifier like those you'd use for child care, but it's important that it's ultrasonic. The steam ones don't work for obvious reasons, but the ones with a "wick" rely on evaporation which breaks down at higher humidity levels. Ultrasonic humidifiers use a disc that vibrates at an ultrasonic frequency. This breaks the water molecules apart, making a very nice, thick, and most importantly cool mist, regardless of relative humidity. They work very well on highlands, as far as I know. I'm no expert, so definitely look for other advice, but I've only had it a short while and my highlanders are seeming to absolutely love it. I have it on a digital timer that runs for 10 minutes every hour and twelve minutes. Holds humidity levels pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent set up and I like that soil station! Good to see another Adelae lover, they grow like weeds for me!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a new camera the other day before leaving town for Thanksgiving, but now I'm back and ready to learn how to use the thing. It's my first DSLR (Canon Digital Rebel T1i), so any advice on photographing plants, in particular, would be perfect, but any advice on DSLR use in general is also very much appreciated. Waaaayyyyy more options than the P&S I had, LOL.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast