What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've got to try and make a bog like this some day... o_O it's magnificent! Thanks for all of the info on it btw!

Thanks again, Devon!

Thought I'd give a small tour of my new plant room.

img5698mz.jpg

From the door.

img5699qf.jpg

From the corner to the left of the rack in the first picture.

img5700t.jpg

Interesting little corridor. I suspect it'd make a nice, separate area for... lowlanders? >;D

img5701.jpg

Reorganized the main shelf of the rack.

img5703k.jpg

My "cuttings" box.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

In other news...

img5725o.jpg

D. binata var. dichotoma from SDCPs has clearly recovered from shipping and is ready for round two.

Cool, everything looks nicely set up. I regret not putting reflective surfaces in like you did. What are you planning on putting in there?

Great job! Now get some plantlets from the cuttings, cross the flowers of those and the current plant, sow the resulting seed, and get seedlings! = Cool!

D. binata var dichotoma seed is pretty valuable for the reason it is hard to get. (at least the non-selfing varieties!)

Its great to have windows. You should probably grow what you can with that light.

I'd be delighted to distrubute my seed if/when I get it!

Thanks, jonnyq!

If your wife is worried about all the light, you can always tell her you can wrap it in mylar to keep all the light in. XD

Happy new year! Oh, it's not the light she's worried about, it's the power consumption of the lights... :D

With the little Aerogrow unit in my home office, it's already "the pump stays on 24 HOURS a DAY?! And the light is on for 17 HOURS a DAY? What a waste, what a waste..."

:D

Time for another update. A few things, here. First of all, this is test run #1 that I'm running for a script I'm working on. The script is intended to automatically type out everything I need to post images. The images are supposed to be 800px wide (I think they're coming out as 799; close enough!) and they are supposed to bring you to the full-size image when you click on them. So, we'll see. If anyone finds any pictures that link to the wrong image, any broken images, any duplicates, or anything like that, please let me know.

Second: These pictures aren't the best quality. I pulled my minibog out of its setup (not an easy feat) and spent like an hour taking pictures. Only after I took all the pictures did I realize I left the aperture way off. Ugh. I'll try to get some more, better shots later. Lesson learned, I guess.

No post-processing. Click on each picture for the full-size version.

U. subulata, hopefully recovering from shipping. o.o;;

Nepenthes inermis x bongso.

Nepenthes inermis x bongso.

U. livida 'Merriwak.'

U. tridentata recovering from its roots. I thought it was dead. ^.^

U. bisquamata, I think; it hasn't flowered for me yet.

U. gramnifolia.

U. livida.

Current shot of the entire minibog.

D. adelae corner.

D. adelae in a pot.

P. moranensis 'Tehuacan.'

D. adelae gooey-ness.

D. capensis.

D. adelae.

D. capensis 'Red.'

D. aliciae.

D. aliciae.

D. capensis 'Wide Leaf.'

More D. adelae gooey-ness.

Love the dews! Man you really get them dewy. :)

VERY nice plants! Another Adalae fan, EXCELLENT!

Okay, here we go. Muuuuch better pictures. All of these were taken in the light of a setting sun. I really like the effect. I encourage you to check out at least a couple of the shots full-sized; these are easily my best yet.

No post-processing. Click on any image to view it full-size.

D. muscipula 'Red Dragon.'

D. capensis 'Wide Leaf' on the left, D. adelae on the right.

D. muscipula.

D. aliciae.

The full bog at sunset; a very rare sight. The first, in fact.

D. capensis.

Young D. adelae.

D. prolifera.

A mess of D. adelae.

D. adelae.

D. enodes 'Scott River'

WOW :drool: your dew bog is simply stunning! People like you make me have to veer off the Nep path and go get a few dews to drop in my collection :p

Dang, everything looks great. I wish I could grow dews like that. Ever since going to school my dews have died. I don't think my parents water my plants. The neps managed to outlast the 1-2 months droughts way better. Seriously, everything looks phenomenal. kudos.

Those D. adelae look awesome. I wish I could KEEP MINE ALIVE!! I've killed two death cube D. adelae so far. Bah.

Lovely P. moranensis too! And lovely utrics. And lovely MOSS (I'm on a bit sphagnum kick right now)

Beautiful. I can't get enough of that VFT with the shadows of the trap behind it.

Thanks so much, everybody. With my new script making this pretty darn painless, expect to see more pictures from me. It's good practice for me to learn how to actually use my camera, too. ^.^

EDIT:
Beautiful. I can't get enough of that VFT with the shadows of the trap behind it.
Actually, if you look carefully, you'll notice it's actually caught inside another trap. XD Carnivorous or cannibalistic?

WOWWWWWWWWW :love:
I am definitely extra jealous of your minibog and the plants within. Holy cow, they're all stunning!!!
You're doing an awesome job growing and taking pictures!

Nice setup and great looking plants. Your D. adelae are especially colorful, which adds a really nice touch. And that picture of the bee is fantastic.

The D. adelae are great for taking care of the occasional fly in the house.

That's an understatement. My Mother-in-Law gave me a Peace Lily a long time ago that turned out to be infected with some bug, maybe Thrips... but anyways, I set my D. adelae next to it for a week and the problem was taken care of!

xvart.

Hello! the adelae you sent is now sending up a flower stalk, and my other plant is working on a second one! I may have seed quite soon...

Oh, that is awesome, SDCPs! How cool that they both decided to flower at the same time! Congrats!

Thanks, Liz and xvart!

I honestly cannot believe that is adelae. You've got the nicest adelae in the world(and by the world, I truly mean the world)!

I honestly cannot believe that is adelae. You've got the nicest adelae in the world(and by the world, I truly mean the world)!
Wow, I don't know about that, but thank you. :blush: Maybe I should start thinking about propagation for trade material...? It's about the only thing I have that I can imagine anyone would want. o_O

A few more pictures.

EDIT: No post-processing except cropping on a few. Click for full-size.

N. inermis x bongso.

D. adelae.

Ceph.

Ceph.

Young D. capensis 'Alba.'

N. ventrata.

Back