What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool video! Thanks for posting it!

Thank you!

Wow so was there something wrong with that capensis red leaf or are they really that slow?

I don't think anything was wrong with it, it's just a young plant. That particular leaf might not have quite been ready for prey that size.

OK just wanted to know because obviously it was slower than the alba right?

This is gonna be a big update... Be warned. ^.^

Okay... these first ones are all free-handed, some with flash, etc... Not the best pictures in the world. The second bunch of pictures will be the good'ns. ;p

First, my new DIY humidifier. This thing is a beast; it holds 4 gallons of water, is super easily refilled by the screw cap on the lid, and puts out a pretty wicked stream of fog. I'll do a video and more detail on it tomorrow.

1%20(2)%20-%20Copy.JPG

1%20(1)%20-%20Copy.JPG

'kay, now the plants...
No post-processing on any of these, click any image for full size.

The rack, currently:

And each shelf at a time:

Closer up:

Utric tray:

The Cobra minibog thing, now with new inhabitants:

One of the seed trays:

The cutting tray:

And a Ceph cutting that struck in that tray:

A few shots from the minibog:

The Sphagnum chamber:

More after the break...

The Nepenthes window. The N. ventrata has taken off and is vining like mad, the 'Miranda' took a little longer to get used to its new home, but it seems happy now, it's inflating two pitchers.

And a little gift I put together for someone. Waiting for it to mature a little in my care first.

Now for the "real" pictures.

I put together a little DIY light tent type thing, and I'm quite pleased with the results; very uniform lighting.

Exposure adjustments via curves on most of these. Click any image for full size.

Nepenthes 'Judith Finn'

Finally getting its characteristic "lipstick"

Nepenthes ventrata

Nepenthes inermis x bongso

Nepenthes ventricosa

(this might be my favorite picture yet)

Cephalotus follicularis; Finally gave me a mature pitcher.

I don't know what Sarracenia species this is. Anyone?

This one either.

Sarracenia purpurea

Pinguicula 'Titan'

Up-and-coming Drosera enodes "Scott River" forest:

Drosera indica "Pale Pink Flower" seedlings:

Drosera filiformis "Florida Red" seedlings:

Drosera capensis 'Albino'

Utricularia livida

Utricularia bisquamata

That's it for now! Until next time!

Ohman, I need to figure out how to get my shots to look so good!
Lovely plants!

Your unkownn Sarr reminds me of a green "Scarlette Belle", I see red on the edges, but I'm not sure.

Thank ya!

I shoot in aperture priority (Av) mode most of the time, typically at f/10, switching to full manual when necessary. Manual focus, the "Sunlight" (5200K) setting for white balance. 100 ISO. These settings necessitate a pretty long exposure (around 1/10 of a second), so camera's always on a tripod, the Auto Stabilizer turned off, and I always use my DIY remote shutter release (super, super easy to make). I don't really know what I'm doing with a camera yet, so these may not be optimal settings, but they seem to work okay for me. Hope it helps any!

What's your lighting like? How do you set it up?
I'm going to have to try all this!

Everything looks fantastic!! Wish I could see results like that from my utrics. And whoever is getting that gift is a lucky dog. That thing is gorgeous!

Nice! Those utrics look super happy too :)

I totally second Summer's guess- the first unknown definitely could be x Scarlett Belle or possibly just x Wrigleyana.

Everything else is just :drool: as always!!

Thank ya much, ladies, for the possible IDs. It definitely does look like it could be either. I got it from Lowes, any idea which would be more likely? Oh wait, it wasn't from Lowes, it was from a nursery... but it was in one of those death "cups" (the inverted clear cup over the top of a pot) from Gubler, I think.

@Lucanidae: I DIYd a pretty ghetto light tent with a cardboard box. I cut the left and right sides out along with the top and replaced them with white tissue paper. Then I just light it with lights from the plant room. This is how I set up for the last timelapse I did:

222977_193903833989014_100001081951674_535343_5945734_n.jpg

@Everyone: Thank you very much! Those two Utrics have been obnoxiously happy for me for a while. None of the others have flowered, though. ;c Well, limeslide's bit of U. subulata is starting to flower, but they look like they're going to be cleistogamous, ew. I don't know why it wouldn't be as happy as the other two. I can't wait for time to tell if the 5 Utrics I got in the auction with be as happy with me. Trying a new media with them (1/1/1 peat/perlite/hydroton), so we'll see how that works out.

Scarlett Belle is a cultivar from the grex, which is Wrigleyana, which is why there's such similarities. IIRC, the cultivar is what's super TC'd, so it's probably that. But I know I got both from a nursery once without realizing it.

Post #1 of this update: Miscellany

Ohboy, another big update. It's been quite some time and I just bought a new macro lens (Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM) and I built myself a new light tent with PVC and fabric, so I figured a big update was in order.

Where to begin... I guess I should try to organize these...

Levels adjustments on three or four of these, cropping on maybe a dozen, no post-processing at all on the rest.

Click any picture for full-size (and I recommend it on some of them. ;) )

Utricularia uniflora

Pinguicula 'Titan'

Pinguicula "Fraser Beaut"

Nepenthes 'Miranda'

Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides

Nepenthes ramispina (Genting)

Nepenthes 'Judith Finn'

Sarracenia purpurea

Sarracenia <insert species here> (A Lowe's plant I never bothered to ID)

Dionaea 'B52'

Dionaea 'Cupped Trap'

Cephalotus follicularis

To be continued...

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Post #2 of this update: The Dew Fest

Drosera binata var. dichotoma

Drosera capensis "Red" young'ns

Drosera capensis 'Albino'

Drosera spatulata x capensis

Drosera spatulata (I'm guessing)

Drosera spatulata "Pink Flower"

Drosera burmannii

Drosera 'Watari'

Drosera dielsiana

Drosera enodes "Scott River"

Drosera allantostigma x ericksoniae

Drosera ericksoniae x pulchella

To be continued...

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Post #3 of this update: From the Cobra Bog, the grow rack, and the sphagnum chamber

Couple from the Cobra Bog

The Drosera capensis and Drosera capensis "Red" farm

The Drosera adelae farm

Some from the sphagnum chamber (which makes a great dew propagation chamber, too! ^.^)

To be continued...

Last edited:
Post #4 of this update: The indoor minibog

Overviews

Drosera adelae

Drosera enodes "Scott River" center, D. spatulata top, D. adelae top right, D capensis "Red" right, D. adelae bottom right, D. capensis 'Albino' bottom, D. prolifera left. Whew.

Drosera enodes "Scott River"

Drosera spatulata

A pair of Drosera capensis

Drosera capensis "Wide Leaf"

Drosera aliciae

Drosera capensis "Red"

Drosera prolifera

A Drosera adelae... pilgrim? I don't know, but it's settling new territory...

Utricularia bisquamata

Dionaea muscipula

And that wraps this update up.

Wonder how many people will actually bother looking at all of them, lol.

Thanks for peeping!

THAT's how to do it! everything is looking nice and healthy! great job! although, i wish the uniflora was more focused--im betting it was such a pain to photograph?

are you sure you arent growing mini-regias? :lol:

Back