User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this greenhouse model?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on this greenhouse model?

Greetings,

I was at Lowes today, and I ran across their display advertising this (among others):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_318847-10155...ductId=3112011

Now, I've been growing solely in pots, and I thought it would be nice to have a mini-greenhouse to at least increase the amount of squirrel-proof land upon which I could grow CP's... However, in looking at this particular design, two things strike me:

1) no ventilation = overheat?

2) no ventilation = no air circulation = promotes fungus growth?

I know that I'm inexperienced in this regard; am I also paranoid, or are these valid concerns? Would leaving the door flap permanently open be a solution or rather the introduction of another problem?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been quite underwhelmed by my experiences with these kinds of things. Granted, I've only used the smaller, non-walk-in ones. But for $240, my expectations would be even higher. You could overcome the lack of ventilation by running a duct or PVC pipe under the bottom of the wall and use a can fan to pull cool air in, but that'd be kind of a pain to setup. Where are you? What do you want to put in it? In most parts of the continental US you can grow pretty much all temperate CPs outdoors uncovered, with a few precautions taken according to your local climate.
    I've found that you can usually get two to five times the useable space out of an enclosure you build yourself, be it a walk-in outdoor greenhouse or just a little terrarium for your shelves indoors, and they last longer too.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it, but I agree with Joe again!
    (No, I am not following you around on purpose Joe!)

Unless you are getting this thing for 80%+ off, I would pass on it.
    A lot does depend on where you live, as far as what one would recommend for you,
    but I have seen aluminum and plastic panel greenhouses for a bit more and they won't
    fall apart or degrade as fast as this thing likely will.

I am not sure what you are planning on doing with it... For the meantime,
    I would either grow indoors under lights, build a "cold-frame" for next to nothing,
    or grow outdoors and respect dormancy methods needed for your area.

Again, it would help knowing where on the planet you live, so as to understand your needs better.
    When asking questions, providing as much relative info as you can, will make answering questions more possible.

Good luck
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, and thanks for the responses!

Yeah, I'm over in sunny Brooklyn, NY. I actually started growing most of my cps outdoors this year, and I'm preparing two large pots for a dormant winter (in a large bin, buried in a non-dyed mulch of cedar chips) in my shed.

I think my interest in examining the possibilities of a greenhouse stemmed from the repeated squirrel attacks that have killed/nearly killed several akai ryu flytraps in one of my outdoor pots. (The largest pot has since been fortified with bird spikes, but I'd prefer not to have all of my cps looking like they live in some sort of demilitarized zone. The effectiveness of cayenne pepper powder as a deterrent for the remaining pot can be very generously described as utterly minimal.)

Anyhow, I thought that a greenhouse like that might be less aesthetically hostile than more bird spikes, and the thought of putting wire shelves in a greenhouse-style enclosure (to better utilize the vertical space in the yard, while keeping out those ******* squirrels) was tempting...

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at that latitude, you might be onto something. And yes, squirrels can be quite troublesome. Just wait until the nesting birds notice your LFS... D:
    A greenhouse might be worthwhile - I'll let some New Englanders give you a more definitive answer though because I'm kind of spoiled here in the Pacific NW. At my old place I made wood or aluminum frames and stretched poultry wire/bird netting over them to keep the critters away. Birds are generally pretty wary of things they might get tangled up in. Squirrels might not be as intimidated though...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea,
    In my yard I have wire "cages" I have built, that I put some of my plants in to protect them from the natives. No trapped heat problems, natural watering and full access to bugs/food! Just as nature intended! Caged up with a "beware of carnivores" sign!
    Not beautiful, but works great! (I use heavy enough wire that makes its own cage without bulky framing of any kind.) Raccoons were my main problem... and chipmunks... and birds!

I also have a regular greenhouse, but I have found the outdoors best for the normal Sarrs, VFTs and temperate sorts of dews and such. Anything tropical goes in the greenhouse for summer. In winter, tropicals come inside and the temperates move from the outdoors to the greenhouse for perfect dormancy. (Too cold where I live to leave them winter over outdoors. Greenhouse has heat and automatic ventilation, and with no heat on but full sun, it can get to be 100 degrees in the middle of winter! So in the summer, it can get way, way too hot for normal plants, even with shading cloth.)
    Greenhouses seem like a wonderful oasis, but they take real management, understanding and a bit of real work!

A greenhouse like you picked out may provide protection of sorts in the winter, however in summer it will cook them to death! As far as shelves, you then need to make sure the lower shelves are not shaded! Good in theory, but not as practical in the real world sometimes. (I often can't even use the glass shelves in the greenhouse, as the plants shade the plants below them.) Just make sure you think things thru, or you drop a lot of coin on something that ends up being impractical.

Good luck
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greenhouses are essentially useless in the northern USA and Canada..
    you simply cant use them in the winter..unless you dont mind spending $500 a month for heat..
    its just too cold outside..
    without a heat source, when its +10 degree F outside, it will be +12 degrees F inside the greenhouse!

They are much more common in Europe and England because the climate is so much milder..
    when its 30 degrees outside it might be 40 inside the greenhouse..thats a meaningful difference!

but around here, there is just no real need for one..too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer..
    for CP's, its just much better keeping the plants out in the open air April-October.

If you want the greenhouse as *only* a method of protecting from squirrels and birds, then thats a different story..it could probably help! although you still have the issue of serious overheating in the summer, and you still cant keep plants in it during the winter..but I suppose it could maybe work..

Would probably be easier and much less expensive to erect wire cages around the pots..

someone needs to invent the "garden cage house"!
    same size as a small greenhouse, with a door, you could walk into it, but made completely of wire!
    wide-open to the air and elements, no glass or plastic covering, but with openings small enough to keep out critters...hmmmm...that could be a business opportunity foe someone!

more realisticallty, it could be a good idea to try to custom build something like that..

Scot

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

something like these could be useful:

http://www.mypetcages.com/images/products/535.jpg

(would just want something that wont rust..vinyl coated wire or something like that.)

those big kitty cages are pricy though..$500 on that webpage..
    you could custom build something much more cheaply..
    something like an outdoor rabbit enclosure..with wire walls and ceiling..

Scot

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not wnat to use anything without ventilation. Plus the plastic GH will not last the test of time. Why not spend a little more and get one of these? http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-ga...use-47712.html. Last much longer and has a vent. IMHO there are many benefits to using a greenhouse. Yes some places might be too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer but there are many ways to deal with those problems. I'll be getting something similar to this untill I can save up for a better GH.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast