What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice please

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble deciding on which greenhouse I want to purchase. I am really looking hard at the one below but it has the 6mm double layer greenhouse film for the covering rather than having the 8mm twin-wall polycarbonate as the front and rear has. For those of you that have the plastic film, how is it working for you? I'm concerned about it ripping or cracking and becoming brittle.

solars46.jpg

I am also looking at the one below which is more solid and naturally would last longer. I like the one above because its larger in width being 12' while the one below is 8'. Both are 16' in length.

rion-ext3.jpg

Any advice please.

Read more: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/...uses&action=display&thread=9544#ixzz15buhwrfs

cattle panel green house

I think this could be a nice low cost DIY alternative.
HTML:
http://www.blackberrymeadows.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=144&Itemid=83

You can do a search for cattle panel green house to find other folks takes on it.

Michael Catalani likes the double layers of poly appraoch. Check out his discussion of greenhouse coverings over here (it's under the equipment heading). Lots of other good reading material in there as well...

6mm double layer poly is fine as long as it is the proper uv stabilized 3 or 4 year greenhouse film. Ideally it should be inflated between the layers too if you want to have any kind of insulating properties out of it. Good greenhouse uv stablized film will last without cracking or getting brittle at least as long as it is rated for and often longer. The problem is there are 1year films and even worse the poly from home improvement stores which have no uv stabilizers and will only last a few months.. if it isn't 3 or 4 year film don't bother.

The 8mm double wall polycarbonate is very nice but also much more expensive than the poly film. For the cost of a couple panels you can cover an entire greenhouse with the double layer 4year poly film. 8mm twinwall polycarbonate is also better at insulating than inflated poly film.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I just spoke with Michael Catalani as well and I think I will definitely go with the first one. I do prefer the width as well giving more space. It will be January they told me when it will be delivered and put up. Of course will post pics. Will ge great as of now all my nepenthes are manageable and are in an indoor two 4 tier greenhouse. I will be purchasing my heater and humidifier the end of the month. I will be growing mostly lowlanders with a few intermediates. My Growlist is listed just don't know how to attach.

Back