User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do 40W, 24" Fluorescent Lights Exist?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a DIY kit form these guys
    http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Last edited by kulamauiman; 11-21-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought A set of 2x 55 W and 2x 98 W PL fixtures like this from these guys:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-55-Watt-Powe...item45ee8826c8

This is just the ballast, two heavy duty waterproof cords that run to the U shaped bulbs you can place away from the warm ballast, you have to make a fixture to hang the bulbs from. I used two rounded pieces of ducting cut lengthwise, one per tube. Ghetto lookin' but it works! I like the premade fixtures best though. Pull out of the box and plug in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're handy with electricity and wiring, you might try: overdriving fluorescent lights. They warn that you could burn down your home, which is true.

I've used this method and it is a bit tricky and somewhat complicated, but I grew up doing things like this. My dad, and grandfather usually did similar things, so I have a long history of tinkering. Anyway, that's my excuse. If you do try this, be careful, don't get hurt. I'm just providing a link that explains how it is done.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph: LOL! I think I'll pass on this one!
    Josh: I'll check your suggestions. Much thanx.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimscott, 55W PL lights set-ups can be DIY-ed easily. If I can do it, you can too! (wanted to include photos for the DIY set-up but can't find them at the moment)

The only "problem" I find is that PL lights tend to be hotter than T5s (what I am using now)...the heat can't dissipate as quickly because of the twin-tubes design. But if a little more heat is not an issue for your growing area (a little more is too much for my climate), the 55W PL will fit perfectly into a 2-ft growing area.
    Cindy

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use two standard 24" T12 fixtures. At six inches or so they give plenty of light for Drosera, Dionaea, Pinguicula and Sarracenia seedlings. I get a 100-200% factor reading on Barry's Light Calculator. My plants color up better under lights than they do outdoors. Flowering is no problem. I have used a mixture of warm and cool white tubes but all cool white works just a well.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I just use two standard 24" T12 fixtures. At six inches or so they give plenty of light for Drosera, Dionaea, Pinguicula and Sarracenia seedlings. I get a 100-200% factor reading on Barry's Light Calculator. My plants color up better under lights than they do outdoors. Flowering is no problem. I have used a mixture of warm and cool white tubes but all cool white works just a well.
    I have two - FTOT12 bulbs in the fixture. Is that the same thing as what you are describing? I have them ~4" above the plants and they just don't color up well. I get better color from the gro rack, with the same bulbs, combined with what shines through th glass doors. The grow rack is ~1' away grom the glass doors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dual; 55 watt power compact systems I am running do run hot. Tank is normal in excess of 90 F daily. But for petiolaris complex plants that seems to be just fine. Initially I had issues with plants not being as red as I would like needed to mix the bulbs up a bit. Almost thinking that the addition of one 10,000 K bulb added more blue range and perhaps more in UV spectra. So far again guessing that the red colors are related to the plants making anthocyanins in response to getting sun/UV burnt....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast