User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do 40W, 24" Fluorescent Lights Exist?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do 40W, 24" Fluorescent Lights Exist?

I'm trying to get more light on my Petiolaris Complex and I have essentially a terrarium setup. It's 24" and comes with a ballast that has the capacity of 2-20W bulbs. Does anybody sell 40W bulbs for a 24" fixture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I can see getting more light in that size space is getting different fixtures to run a new type of light tube. A 24" long x 10" wide 4 tube T5 HO fixture would give you 8000 lumens or a fixture with 2x 65 Watt 22" long PL (U shaped compact flourescents) would give you like 10,000 - 12,000 lumens but both options requires new fixtures or buying a kit and making a fixture. If I were going to upgrade I'd do the T5HOs cos the replacement tubes are way cheaper than the PL fluorescents and there are way more options in the T5HO bulb range. I imagine some of those high PAR coral tubes would put great colors on CPs and stuff!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Swords,
    I would have said exactly the same thing!
    Couldn't agree more!

(Actually, someone in the area was trying to sell one of those "U" tubed fixtures recently, so I am thinking you might find either one used too, if cost is a problem. But indeed, I would go T5HO straight tube model, as Swords already brought out about, cost and availability of tubes.)

Good Luck!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! Josh, that went way over my head! If I can't get it preowned, who sells them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Lumens is the amount of light intensity and T5 High Output /Power compact Lights put out about double the amount of light of regular fluorescent tubes but don't use that much more energy. PAR is Photo Active Radiation and is partly responsible for the crazy glowing colors in photosynthetic corals and the specialty tubes at the fish shop would probably do some real wonders for CPs that color up under tubes like pings and dews.

I know there are other places to get T5HO fixtures but if you want the most inexpensive "pull out of the box with bulbs included and fire it up" this is the cheapest place to go for T5HO fixtures I have found: High Tech Garden Supply.This is a link to their most modestly priced units which include your choice of 6500K (daylight/grow)or 3000K (warm/bloom) bulbs or a combo of bulbs with your plug and play fixture:

http://www.htgsupply.com/growlights....=107&typeID=71

There is a 2 ft PL fixture available on the page I linked to so you can see the difference between T5s and PLs. I've bought all my T5s (six 4 ft fixtures so far) and a really nice 16" diameter hang on the wall oscillating fan from HTG supply. Paul's a good dude, answering questions fast and getting your stuff out into the mail the next day usually and doesn't put "HYDROPONIC GROW LIGHTS" in six inch green letters along the side of your box like some vendors do - making the neighbors all suspicious! LOL
    Last edited by swords; 11-20-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer. Yes they do make T12 24" tubes that run at more than 20w, ie HO (highoutput) and VHO (veryhighoutput). BUT they won't work in a fixture designed for the 20w version.

I would be looking at the T5 HO 4 tube fixtures probably.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know who sells them, offhand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know who sells them, offhand?
    If you mean what retail outlets like Home Depot or Lowes sell these type of high output fixtures? They aren't available there. Other than fish shops or Hydroponics stores (for a high premium) you're better off ordering online. I posted this link above to the most inexpensive source I know for T5 HO setups that are ready to hang and plug in right out of the box again its:
    http://www.htgsupply.com/growlights....=107&typeID=71

The T12 VHOs that Tony talked about you'll likely need to get from a marine aquarium supply like http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting__index-ap.html

T5 HO are a lot more common and easy to get replacement tubes for but I have ordered from both these companies and had good purchases.

A lot of folks here have bought T5 fixtures from http://www.contractorlighting.com/high-bay-c-32.html But I have no experience with them, they seem expensive. A cord is an additional cost, no free bulbs and not a slimline fixture. Theirs are about twice the depth of my mine. Also I believe these guys only carry 4 ft fixtures.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast