Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Temperate bog soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another easy idea for filling up space: fill a bunch of plastic containers/bottles (1 gallon H2O or whatever) with water, seal them and just set them in the bottom of the tub.
    Are the earthworms a bad thing in the bog? they don't harm the CPs in anyway as far as I know do they?
    I have found for my bogs that a soil made up of peat, LFS, perlite, sand & small bark works great--heavy on the peat & sand. I go by the idea that in the wild, bog soil is made up of a lot of different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anyway you could relocate the bog? Seems to me worms will just crawl up and infest it again. Could you elevate it on bricks? Maybe this would help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that worms don't like mixes that contain alot of coarse sand....they do like mixes that have LFS in them though.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    Is there anyway you could relocate the bog? Seems to me worms will just crawl up and infest it again. Could you elevate it on bricks? Maybe this would help?
    *Ahem.* The bog is almost three feet high, counting the layer of giant bricks. The worms got in because I wasn't being careful with what I put in. The worms were in the potted plants, and I failed to rinse each completely before putting them in the bog. All it takes is one bad apple, blech!

We can't move it, anyways. Completely filled, it weighs approximately a ton, or so we calculated. Besides, it's in a GREAT spot, right in the middle of the patio. Nuh uh, not budging.

8bug4fun, worms put nutrients into the soil, that's why they're revered by gardeners around the world-- except us! You can tell a worm infested pot- it smells rank, powerfully rank, and the peat is all blobbed at the soil surface where the worms leave it. The added nutrients poison most CPs, though there are a couple exceptions I've seen. Don't let them in your Sarrs! Or Dionaea, or Drosera, or Utricularia, or....
    Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 11-29-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I've got a solution for you: Flood your bog. Dispose of the worms, and leave it like that for a few days to kill the eggs!

Naughty Naughty Naughty! How...why! Oh well. Now we know!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    *Ahem.* The bog is almost three feet high, counting the layer of giant bricks. The worms got in because I wasn't being careful with what I put in. The worms were in the potted plants, and I failed to rinse each completely before putting them in the bog. All it takes is one bad apple, blech!

We can't move it, anyways. Completely filled, it weighs approximately a ton, or so we calculated. Besides, it's in a GREAT spot, right in the middle of the patio. Nuh uh, not budging.

8bug4fun, worms put nutrients into the soil, that's why they're revered by gardeners around the world-- except us! You can tell a worm infested pot- it smells rank, powerfully rank, and the peat is all blobbed at the soil surface where the worms leave it. The added nutrients poison most CPs, though there are a couple exceptions I've seen. Don't let them in your Sarrs! Or Dionaea, or Drosera, or Utricularia, or....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, if only it were that easy! Worms don't need to breathe, not like we do. Oh, they come up when it rains, but only long enough to mate, then they go back under. They do it that way 'cause they won't dry out when it's raining.

I've had it flooded for about a month now, and the whole rainy season last year; they're still here. Blech!

I will be using more sand this time, with about an inch or two of nearly pure sand on top, depending on location within the bog. I'll be using play sand, not quite as sharp as I'd like, but certainly not soft! We get good sand here.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Oh, yeah. While I'm "re-bogging," I'm go na have a "blast" washing off ALL the plants. Even the climber, the creepers and the branchy-rhizomy spreaders. Oh, what fun, out in 'da gar-dun!
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sometimes u can find a metal rod to hook up to a car battery wich will zap them bringing them to surface, not sure if it will hurt plants or not but its an idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    sometimes u can find a metal rod to hook up to a car battery wich will zap them bringing them to surface, not sure if it will hurt plants or not but its an idea
    Good idea! Metal rod? No problem! Where I work, we throw out (recycle) dozens each day. But you are right, I also don't know what effect that will have on my plants, or my battery.

These are all great ideas on keeping worms out & removing the odd stray that sneaks in, but the peat has already been broken down, the soil is ruined. I will try these removal techniques if I find worm frass in the new mix. It ought to be much easier to spot, because I'll have a layer of sand on top.

What I'm looking for, mostly, is ideas on additives, beyond sand, peat and perlite, that the plants might like. I still haven't gotten ahold of anyone who's been out digging/researching Sarrs, but I can only blame myself for being lazy there.
    My WWWs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast