Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Temperate bog soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you're right about flooding. I looked in some of my grow table pots today...found like 8 worms in 5 pots . I just hope MY bog is not infected....LOL! It doesn't stink at all, however.

I came upon another idea. How about taking all the plants out and turning a bog into a desert for a while That ought to do it. Tis what I'll need to do if I find worms in my bog. Easier than "re-bogging"

I'm already battling mealy bugs (which after cutting off all the sarra pitchers I now have the upper hand (they can hide in pitchers))

I guess I'll need to kill every worm I see...and move the pots around. Does anyone know how to kill worms BEFORE a serious infestation occurs leaving the soil useless? I can lower the water level till there is almost nothing, maybe the worms will creep under the pots (has happened before) and then I can get em easy?

I also (these are regular earthworms) found 2 egg cases and destroyed them. Looks like small pills. I also found a third empty one...rats.

Anyway, Some of my plants are in the same boat . How do you kill these critters?

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

I was reading and found that earthworms don't like PH below 4.5, they inhabit wet places, and are killed by insecticides containing carbaryl.

Hmmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres some links that you may find usefull, I've not tried them myself as I have never had a problem in my bogs. The Oxford croquet link suggests that worm dont like acid soil which is just what carnivorous plants love. Have you tried a PH test to see how acid the soil is? it could be that you may need to do nothing in your new bog if it is acid enough.
    Also flooding should do the job according to the all about worms link.
    Try some dilure vinegar in a pot of soil with a worm in, as a test to see if the worm runs away.
    Let us know how it goes
    Cheers
    Steve
    http://www.allaboutworms.com/how-to-...ill-earthworms
    http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/care/worms/index.asp
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...593927540.html
    Last edited by Steve Booth; 12-02-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta change it, it's two years (or so) old, and is breaking down due to the digestive activities of the little buggers. Besides, I believe I do have a problem with the lower foot or two of the bog gone anoxic-- toxic to plants, I've read. In order to fix the problem, I need to dig it all up and put something else, some kind of inorganic filler, in the bottom. I have plans and recipes drawn out; once I re-draw them and make them look nice, I'll post them.

SDCPS, I wish I could! But where am I going to put all those plants? We have a tiny fridge. Being the beginning of winter, that soil won't dry out until spring, then I'd have to wait ages longer. Worms cam go dormant, too, if things get dry. They form a little chamber and wait it out. If you have worms under your pots, then you have even more in them. Letting it dry would encourage the worms in the tray to hide under the pots, but won't lure out the ones in the pots, and eventually the tray worms will join the potted worms.

Steve, I am taking steps to ensure the next batch is more acid. The batch in there now is messed up; it's no good now. None of the plants made a single pitcher, all the flytraps died, and most if the 'dews are gone.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I have it set up where I can install a small pump if I want. It'll be neat!
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect to change the media every couple years anyway, as it will give the plants a new, fresh environment. Something nature does ...well... "naturally"! It cleans itself! You can't do that in a closed, micro environment you create, so you have to do it manually.

If nothing else, the worms brought attention to something that needed doing anyway.

Don't look at it as a bad thing, or a disgusting job to have to do. You are refreshing their environment, and giving them a new lease on life. This is a wonderful opportunity to show care and tending to their needs!

We vacuum, change the sheets on our beds, throw out the garbage, paint the siding or house trim, and even change the oil in our car. (Well, at least most of us do!) And redoing the "soil" in a pot or "bog garden" is no different.

This isn't a sewage pit or garbage dump, to ignore and neglect! It is an important part of the life-source for these plants! It takes work to provide plants with the environment they need. (Unless you are one of those here lucky enough to live where nature itself does most or all of the work for you!) But seeing as your bog is artificial and not one naturally occurring in your backyard, then it will need regular care to keep it in good shape.

Even without worms pooping in your bog, the peat and other materials in it will decompose, break down and/or produce "waste" products. As we water our plants regularly, give them light and possibly dormancy regularly, it is also good to replace your planting media regularly. Even though that "regular" period may be years apart, in a closed system it will need to be done.
    Hey, it beats having to change a litter box or taking it out for a walk/dump every day!

Good luck!

PS: You were right to ask about redoing the whole thing, as simply removing or killing off the worms won't make things right. It is time to "re-pot"! And I am betting your plants will show their gratitude after you do. (Just take your time, perhaps throw the plants into buckets of decent water/soaking wet peat while doing all the real "work", and take care with them to prevent much transplant shock, and it will be great!)

Be sure to post pics next spring!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIL, I looked IN my pots, removed the soil and found a few worms. None under them. 3 pots I checked had absolutely no worms and they were in the same tray. The others had 1-2 per pot.

So I don't have a bad infestation by any means...which is good.

Everybody:

DON'T LEAVE YOUR POTS ON THE SIDEWALK WITHOUT A WATER TRAY
    . This invites worms to creep in through the drainage holes when it rains. I found a pot with a few in it because of this.

I'm just going to keep on them. Whenever I see one, out it goes!

I agree with Growing old, I guess...but I don't think I'm going to change the media on my bog for a while. Moss is growing great on the surface, and I can flood it and siphon away toxins, keeping it clean. It is elevated, and on wheeles. A total of 8 cubic feet.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Steve: I found those links helpful and worth reading. Thanks!

I never knew mustard would bring 'em to the surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, don't get me wrong; I'm not balking about having to change it, LoL! I am a bit surprised that regular soil degrades so quickly! I thought I had at least three years per batch, maybe up to five years. Huh! Learned something new.

My real complaint about re-potting isn't about the smell, it's the cold! I'm going to be standing out there up to the elbows in wet, spraying water everywhere and all over me. Brrr! I did it last year with some potted plants, and it was a fun mess. No sarcasm, FUN! But messy, and COLD. I may employ a bucket this time, and just slosh about. We'll see, when the time comes.

What kinds of sand do you folks use? I just use washed play sand, it seems to work the best, and is really cheap. This batch is going to be ~50% sand, up by over 20%.

I have figured out something to take up space in the bottom: sawed-off buckets. I have a zillion of 'em, and I'm not using them. I can cut them to size and put them in upside down to displace water and rocks. There will be "inert" rocks filling in the gaps, plus a kind of cloth or some other "stuff" over the rocks to keep them clean and free of soil.

Erm, I'll need to draw out the details. I'll keep typing for pages trying to describe it all.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123