What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for info on a easy highlands setup

Hi ,
Well I got my lowland doing well now I need some info on making a highlands set up on the low,low $

My grow area gets cool at night but I need to get the temp up during the day.
I was thinking about taking a 5. gallon water jug. cut the top off and run a light in the mouth. then put a computer fan or 2 in the side one going in and one blowing out.
that way I can keep the humidity down, the air moving, but the heat in during the day..
Will they live with a light over top like my lowlands, I read someplace that they dont like bright direct:boogie: light?
What would you do?

oooh!!! make no mistake...highlands love bright light. The brighter the better. You want a cheap highland setup...get one of those lowes greenhouses. Rig it up to keep the humidity in (block the bottom with paper towels etc...fill it up with enough plants, that will take care of humidity and since the lights for lower shelves will be inside, temps will go up during the day and will go down during the night.

an idea what the humidity should be? you are thinking to big,, I only have 3 small highlands at this time.

but you wont have three in less than one month, betcha, LOL.:blush:
Vraev , is one of the best growers , try his method youll be glad you did , and have the space , in time the plants you have will fill way more space than you expect. and even a small terrarium of glass will probably be more expensive, and harder to properly cool and light and cover
good luck , and let us know if that collection grows :0o:, hope you will not stop at three, this is a very rewarding hobbie,

You Already have your eye on one don't you ?:poke:

Lol Jimmy! I am sure you are doing better than I am at this point.

But coming back to the point, I was mentioning the indoor lowes greenhouse for the sake of expandability. This is how my old setup looked:

4992545194_e13852ee45_z.jpg

I was extremely successful with my plants and many of the harder highland/UHL species did great in it.

4991898529_8a680e7c06_z.jpg

Ofcourse, if you are looking for something small, then you might try getting a cheap 5gal aquarium. have a layer of gravel or LFS at the bottom with some water to increase humidity. Then, place your pots elevated such that they do not soak in the water. Ideally, I would suggest getting a mesh or strong grill to place at the top of the tank and use a regular T8 2 tube 2' light fixture. Also make sure you have a small fan to blow air over the fixture to remove heat, but technically speaking, this setup should be a nice and cheap way to grow a few highlanders.

Back