Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growing Space Disaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing Space Disaster

So I moved in with a friend about a year ago.

I had a South facing window and my plants were... surviving. They weren't thriving by any sense of the word -- my capes were reddish green, my Nepenthes wasn't making cups, but they weren't in danger of croaking and it was just a temporary thing. You know, a month or two.

Flash forward a year. I've moved to a new place rather abruptly, and currently am staying in the basement.

Here's my computer room:

And my bedroom:

And my new plant rack setup:

I decided to put foil down -- not a lot:

Pictures were taken around 2:15 PM.

So I'm not sure right now what survived the year of hades and the resulting 2 weeks here so far. The windowsills down here get about 45-65, I'm currently hiding my dormant plants in them -- Pitcher Plants, for example. I got the heat on recently, so things are warming up -- I haven't ran the temps in my new growing enclosure, it should be significantly warmer. I plan on using containers to bring the plants closer to the lights -- they're about 12 inches away. I also plan on getting another cover for it in front -- ideally, I'll have all the sides surrounded with foil for maximum reflection.

Ideally the current situation is very temporary -- which is why it's foil and not mylar -- but even then, space has always been a problem.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is -- what should be going in the windows sills, what should be going under the grow lights, and what should I honestly consider giving away in lieu of letting them slowly die? My grow list is in my signature -- it's ... not fully up to date, I'll update it next. Basically I have a lot of sundews, some pings, and some pitcher plants.

Edit: Just took my temps -- it's 70 in the plant enclosure, and rising. Here's a photo of it full of plants:

Think the nep is too close, but I'll need to get supplies to adjust it.
    Last edited by mcantrell; 11-26-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe look at getting some bright CLF bulbs over your plants in conjuction to what and try to grow them that way. My mini orchids, cactus, and some of my CP are doing well under them. Just an idea over getting rid of your plants. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this setup may work for a few weeks. I used to grow them in an East Facing Window with the same lights:

... Has it really almost been 2 years? Christ.

Anyway, this is ideally temporary, my plan is to replace the wireframe rack when I move again in 1-3 months.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah moving really sucks doesn't it? My plants took a hit too when we moved in October. But don't worry, things always get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current gameplan is to move the Venus Flytraps into a communal pot and keep them in the windowsill of my bedroom next to the pitcher plants. They won't be happy but they should hibernate and survive the winter. I'm worried that my lighting setup there is insufficient, but, we'll see I guess.

Taking stock, I definitely lost the multifida extrema (unless it comes back from it's roots), might have lost the Adelae. The pygmies are dead and dying but they did leave me a ton of gemmae which I put into my big drainless pot. I'll move them once they strike but before they put out a ton of roots. Ideally I'll get almost everything into 1 or 2 of those big drainless pots, that would make life a lot easier.