What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity

Rball

INFECTED
Ok so ill start with my grow list
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124965

Now i have a closet set up with grow racks. With lights on and humidifier i have humidity of 70%+ and wen i turn everything off the humidty will drop to a little over 20%. Is this bad, i know lower night temp is good. Should i leave the humidifier on at night, the only thing is its hot steam and im not sure if the temp will fluctuate as much.

Kill the humidifier and just bag the neps up. Mine are bagged for the move home, and all have made pitcher after pitcher in the meantime. A huge improvement in growth and pitcher development.
Just a suggestion..
A ziplock baggie and a mist of distilled/RO water and they'll be in heaven.

nice so jsut bag them over night, my maxima hybrid is kinda big though, will a regular shopping bag work?

No, just keep them bagged 24/7. Then mist the walls of the grow space to raise the humidity for the larger neps. Or use the humidifier only when the humidity falls during the daytime.

like gallon zip locks? or could i jsut use say wooden dowels make a box shape n use the real clear window plastic like the kind you blow dry to make tight, to make say a thing to go over them.....

I've had my raff bagged up before and I agree, it worked well. But can't it harm them sometimes because of no airflow, leading to mold and stuff?

yeah, it "could".. if they start showing signs of decay or mold you can just unzip one or two of the corners to allow some airflow.

good point... :p

i just dont know if a gallon bag will be big enough for my 2 bigger nep without restricting their growth shouldnt their be room around so its not tight?

use 2.5 gallon bags.. Put it in one, with a second bag over the top if need be. Not sure how big the plants are.. I've got some that won't even fit in a shopping bag.

I dunno, the humidity where I used to grow my Neps (windowsill style) was really bad... sometimes no more than 30%. I never had any problems getting mine to pitcher or grow. I say experiment with a few expendable Neps first and see how they grow in the conditions you already have...... but that's just me. :p

EDIT: In fact, when it's not raining in the winter, the humidity outside is really low, too. All of my Neps pitcher fine outside, whether the humidity was 30% or 60% due to rain out in full sun and "tough" conditions.

My plants grow in really poor humidity and the only ones I ever had problems with in those conditions specifically because of humidity were hamata and glabrata. Glabrata I just gave away, but repotting to a wider pot with lots of lfs in the potting mixture for hamata bumped the humidity around the leaves and tendrils enough to ensure pitchering. I won't even think about rajah or talangensis because they'd have the same problem, but everything else is a breeze.

would it be ok to transplant now or should i do it in spring, and more so when i transplant do i get rid of all the soil existing and start from scratch or just put everything into a bigger pot and fill around it.

Dang.. rain in the winter? You guys are so lucky!

would it be ok to transplant now or should i do it in spring, and more so when i transplant do i get rid of all the soil existing and start from scratch or just put everything into a bigger pot and fill around it.

what are you transplanting? Neps don't need a winter dormancy,.. so spring wouldn't make a difference.
I only reuse everything except peat.

Back