Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: noob questions. Please help...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

noob questions. Please help...

Hi, I'm new to this and I'm having some problems. I haven't managed to kill anything yet and I hope to avoid it. I recently rescued a couple of sundews and pitcher plant from death cubes and I'm trying to get conditions right. The difficult part is that I live in the high plains of the new mexico/texas border and our climate is not very good for carnivorous plants at all from what I've read. I need to know how I can keep the temperature decent in my terrarium (my houseis not the warmest, it drops to the high 50s in here at night) and how to better control the humidity. In my house it stays at a constant 15 to 20%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold for the pitcherplants right now is a good thing, as they need to be in dormancy.
    But depending on the sundews, they may or may not to need be cool and dryish or warm and wet.

But you have a terrarium, eh?
    For heat, a heating pad (like for reptiles) smacked onto the bottom helps. If you have water in the bottom of it, that'll inevitably create loads of humidity. Clamp lamps with appropriate bulbs are also good heat/light sources for a terrarium.
    As for humidity, well, an enclosed space is probably a good idea. Having it without a lid or a screen top won't be doing you much favors.
    My little growspace for my lowland nepenthes during winter is kept very humid by the high temps provided by lights with a small bowl of water in there. I do mist every other day too, just for the plant's sake

I'm sure others will be able to give you more detailed help based on their experiences!
    Welcome and happy growing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a hamster style top on it. The thing is the sarracenias appeared to be dying and I'm pretty sure that they were given the lighting they had and how I'm fairly certain they were watered from the tap. The root's however are healthy looking so they may just be entering dormancy. the sundews are sort of healthy even though they have no dew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're concerned about their water, you can flush their pots with RO/distilled/rain water....but as long as the rhizome is firm and you say the roots are healthy, then it's most likely just dormancy- pitchers browning is a common occurrence then. But I'd move the Sarrs to a sunny windowsill, so they can get a reduced photo-period and cool temps they need. Keep them in trays with a low watertable, possibly letting it go dry for a day before refilling it.

As for your dews, this will be able to tell you alot: http://www.growsundews.com/

If you can post pictures of the plants and setup, that'd be incredibly helpful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't necessarily know the species of the sundews... I assume that'll have a huge difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will. If you can get pictures up, though, people here will be able to ID them for you. Liz has already given you the advice I would have for the Sarrs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely your sundews from the Lowes Deathcubes are Drosera capensis or Drosera adelae, those two are tropical and can be grown indoors under lights year round. I don't THINK they ever put D. intermedia or D. spatulata in those cubes but it may be possible. If it is D. intermedia then this one does need a dormancy just like the Sarracenias (American pitcher plants) and D. spatulata does not need a dormancy.

Do you know about this website: http://cpphotofinder.com/

It's a nice site to try and ID your plants. Look up those Drosera species I mentioned and see if any of those fit what you have. Don't worry about color in the pics you see (it's generally dependent upon growing conditions), just look at leaf characteristics. If you have good light you will turn your green death cube Drosera into a green one with red dew or even all red leaves and red dew. Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all very much. I am quite impressed with how willing everyone is to help me . I posted some pics in the identify this plant thread if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast