User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to grow a CP terrarium without drainage?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're trying to grow some plants that do not appreciate water-logged conditions you can have their substrate slightly raised above the rest of the soil or moss or what have you.

Also I've found that if you are using living sphagnum moss as the substrate, there isn't really a problem with root rot so much. You don't necessarily need to water even, the moss retains all the humidity for a long time.

However, you are probably talking about Cephalotus, in which case, I would, as others have said, just be extra careful with your watering. Provide an area that is closer to the light, and higher than the rest of the substrate so that it dries out quicker, and you can water the mound with a spray bottle.

Of course you have to be somewhat dedicated to do that. It is simple though and doesn't involve an intricate setup.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's those new pics:

How it looks with the rock in place:

And with the rock pulled up and the turkey baster put in to suck out excess water:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few threads I've posted about the various Vivariums I have set-up. I grow all my plants in vivariums of some type. Some of the tanks take alot of experience with the plants in the tanks to get them to grow where they are. So your milage will vary. For example, I can look at a section of driftwood and by the moisture it is wicking to that section I can tell what type of plants I can put there, years of trial and error allows me to grow things other will not be able to under the same conditions.

Ceph, growing in an open vivarium.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=122053

My newest one, just put the Ceph's in there. No where near finished.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125069

Not a vivarium, but the container is inside a vivarium so it counts.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=122166

A Ceph growing inside my main U. Graminifolia tank. It is still growing just VERY slow. Not a good envoirment for Cephs. Just trying to prove that Ceph roots in water are not the cause of rot . Its the lack of air to the roots in mixes that are not airy enough.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116479

Another odd thing I've done, the VFTs seem to like this setup, Ping/Drosera not so much. Ceph's are doing just fine in there. Very wet mediums, again airflow to the roots appears to be preventing the Ceph rot, still too eary to tell but I have not lost one Ceph in there. Heli's are doing ok, not good.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=121824

Here is the main U. graminifolia tank, somewhere in that thread.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115965

Another little vivairum, it doesn't look like that now, I've moved alot of it around and sold the Ceph off.
    http://www.orchidboard.com/community...cro-minis.html

I also took some normal peat/sand/perlite mix and lightly placed 1 1/2" of the medium in a 2.5g tank. The soil is NOT compacted at all. Wetted it to what I think is the perfect moisture. Added some U. sandersonii tiny tiny scapes, sealed up 99% of the tank and forgot about it. The sandersonii is easily 1000X what I put in there 3 months ago. I have yet to water it again.

If thats not enough information, check out the poison dart frog forums, they have a TON of information about growing plants in vivariums. Some CPs are covered too.

Hope some of this helps, CPs can be grown in vivariums BUT you have to do your research first and set up the tank for what your growing.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Took some quick (and bad) photos of a few vivariums. I really need to add backgrounds and clean the glass.

This is probably 1/3rd of what I have, the last few months I've been doing some very heavy dividing/selling/trading so I have space for the plants to grow out in the winter months. The other 9 months there is no where near that much unused space .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome vivariums, RSS. Those are some really challenging plants, and it looks like you're doing an amazing job with them. I especially like your Utric. "shingles" in the second pic. Great way to maximize your space and take advantage of their natural growth tendencies.

I'm definitely going to check out all of your linked posts when I get a chance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    Awesome vivariums, RSS. Those are some really challenging plants, and it looks like you're doing an amazing job with them. I especially like your Utric. "shingles" in the second pic. Great way to maximize your space and take advantage of their natural growth tendencies.

I'm definitely going to check out all of your linked posts when I get a chance.
    The plants hanging on those brown/black moss covered shingles are miniature ferns mounted on tree fern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some beautiful setups. Pic #2 catches my eye. The cubes of hanging moss looks cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RSS: what kinda of tree fern did you use? it looks like it has a very dense thickness. all the ones i've seen are loose and break apart into a thousand pieces when i try cutting them. what would you buy it as? a totem? plaque? what size? definitely going to use that if i ever get my hands on jamesoniana.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @RSS: what kinda of tree fern did you use? it looks like it has a very dense thickness. all the ones i've seen are loose and break apart into a thousand pieces when i try cutting them. what would you buy it as? a totem? plaque? what size? definitely going to use that if i ever get my hands on jamesoniana.
    I got them off E-bay, just look for the ones labeled as dense. Check the photo's you should easily be able to see the difference between the normal ones and the dense ones. I ordered 18 6" X 6" pieces and about 10 of them were dense enough to cut up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast