What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to grow such beautiful moss?

I found the following pic, and shocked by the beautiful moss (previously I saw lots of pics showing such beautiful moss, but currently I just found this one). It's amazing! What's the secrete to grow such moss? I know high humidity, bright light are the necessary conditions. But in my case, with high humidity, the fungus and algae often appear. How do people get rid of (or avoid) fungus and algae while growing such moss?

here is the link:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/316/s6001964ub6.jpg

(well, the pitcher is beautiful, but I found the moss in the background is more beautiful :-D )

I think its done using pure demineralized/ro water.
Moss starts out that way here but slowly becomes brown/moldy.
Only thing im doing different is using tap water.

Using good water is important like Talie noted. Other than that, it really is just a matter of keeping the moss wet and brightly lit.

I've had few problems growing moss. Even the lame, brown dead junk that certain unnamed nurseries send eventually has started growing for me. If you're growing with a terrarium it shouldn't be much of a problem getting it to grow - or if you are growing in an otherwise highly humid environment.

I've also found that sometimes it's a matter of just letting the algae grow, the moss may eventually outgrow it.

You know, I'm also mesmerized by a good batch of sphagnum. Its just such a purty shade of green! At this point i'd say it's at the top of my want list! I'm currently trying to sprout my own from dead LFS but once i get back from my Christmas vacation i think I'm going to hedge my bets by picking up a bag of the live stuff too. Until then, I'm right there with the OP in wanting as much info as i can get about how to grow moss that looks like it does n that pic!!!

Keep it cool and wet. Sphagnum is popping up in some more Nep pots here because the days are getting cooler and wetter. :D

Sphagnum grows best for me in my utric trays. The utric pots are up to the rim in water and red sphag is growing everywhere. :)

Last edited:
^^^that site has been my bible thus far! Very good information there. Like the OP, I'm just looking for as many personal accounts as possible.

I'm just looking for as many personal accounts as possible.

Oh, mah bad..
In that case, I just got an EXPLOSION of LFS in my pots. All I did was give lower night time temps, and much higher humidity. Since I bagged everyone up a couple weeks ago in anticipation of my upcoming move they are now getting intense humidity levels. The moss is going nuts..
85%-100% humidity
75* daytime
48* nighttime
light levels are full spectrum w/partial sun, but not strong

Thanks mass! If those conditions worked that well for you then it sounds like i should be able to come very close in terms of light, humidity, and temps if i grow the moss in a box. Once the moss actually sprouts, that is. My concern is what happens if i harvest some of that moss and use it as a top dressing. My humidity in my open rack only touches the 80s overnight; during the day it's around 55. I'll just have to wait and see!

Thank you for all your rapid reply. You guys never found any algae or fungus among the moss? These two weeks are all rainy days in my place. And the wind is very strong. However, yesterday I found there were dark green algae appearing among the moss in my nep pots. The air-movement was very good, since I am growing my neps outdoor (put in a big box, but the box top is completely open). I really hate hate such algae and fungus.

algae is present because a significant amount of nitrates are present that they are able to exploit--could be from not flushing the pot after fertilization. fungus as well. you should try to get live sphagnum as possible since live sphag will absorb those nitrates and keep fungus at bay as well.

I think amph might be right about the reason for the algae. The open box you're using probably allows for good air circulation so far as the plants are concerned, but it does keep in some humidity, and if it has opaque sides they might increase the ambient light available at the soil level. I don't know much about preventing algae, besides leaving pots out in the rain to wash out all the stuff that the algae wants. I do have a trick for getting rid of it, though - use a spray bottle and just break it apart whenever it shows up. Don't mist the pot - use a harsh setting and hose down the algae like you're washing your driveway. If you break it up enough, it will mostly die, and there will be less when it does come back. Eventually the top of the media won't have the nutrients to support it coming back, or something sturdier like moss will take over as groundcover. Utricularia are pretty handy for wedging out algae and other soil pests.
~Joe

I would cover your box with a lid, leaving only a small opening like 1" wide x the length of the tank, you don't need much circulation to keep fungus at bay. However, I have never been able to grow live sphagnum outdoors. Indoors I don't seem to have a problem getting it started and growing it.

I start a tank like this with a bed of 2"+ of dead moist LFS and some chopped bits of live sphagnum

mosssetup1.jpg

These plants have just been put in here after I setup the moss bed tonight
mosssetup3.jpg

This tank has been going for some months with plenty of live sphagnum to trim and seed new tanks and pot tops
mosssetup2.jpg

You're not limited to sphagnum:

This one isn't sphagnum but mostly a kind of fern leaf liverwort that I like to use in my display terrariums so i culture it the same way
mosssetup4.jpg

This one is another type of moss I like to use in display terrariums
mosssetup5.jpg

The principle is the same in each, seed the moist bed of dead LFS with your moss, liverwort or whatever, press it down into the bed and I use a heavy duty garden sprayer to soak it down. Give it moderate temps, light and very high humidity and the moss will do it's thing. My tanks all have only a 1" ventilation gap with no molds and fungus.

Distilled water is the best, R/O seems to still allow algae to grow.

Thank you, amph and Joe. I generally water the pots once a week, or even once per two weeks, and I think I don't flush the pots heavily (because I want to save some R.O.water). Meanwhile I mist the neps with light fertilizer once a week. Maybe this is the reason that the nutrition accumulates on the top soil and let the algae grow. I will increase the watering strength (heavily flush the pots) and see the results.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Hi, swords, Thanks for the pics. They are nice terrariums. My setup is similar to yours (except that I have more air-movement than yours), but unfortunately I have the problems :( As I said above, maybe my fertilizer spray and less watering allow the algae grow.

PS: your N.raff 'red giant' in the second pic is very nice.

I wish i had room for terrariums like that :O

Swords, cool avatar pic.

Do you use the fern leaf liverwort actually in Nep pots?

Back