What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP terrarium "show tank"

Boabab95

1/2 alpaca, 1/2 Emu, and 4/5 drosera
this one won't have any inhabitants(except the wingless fruitflies ill throw in every so often for food...)

(ignore the plastic lizards, my sisters attempt at scaring me [didn't work!])

Same method as my frog tank(which I'll post later)- kitty litter soaked in water and slapped on the back. the substrate is roughly 1:1 peat : perlite mix and just the average coiled flourescent ontop.

right now there's P. moranensis and P. "pirouette", but there will eventually be utrics and some drosera's. along with some random tropical cuttings i had.

P1120297.jpg

P1120293.jpg

P1120291.jpg

and before the pirouette was added...best pic of background i could find.

P1120282.jpg

Did you add peat to your kitty litter background? If not, I'm afraid it may dry into a crumbly clay wall on you, I tried landscaping a tank with plain litter and it fell apart. If you keep it misted perhaps it won't - I was letting it dry out for my tarantula before I put her in since they don't like it wet. I always mix my kitty litter backgrounds as 50/50 peat and kitty litter and they seem to stay wet and malleable.

I added about 40% peat, as I'm afraid when the peat degrades, it may seperate the clay abit more than I'd like...it may not look like it, but it's there...haha

Cool as long as it's there! The fibers in the peat seems to act as a binder to hold it all together, like natures fiberglass! LOL

Back