Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few pics of my humble collection - picture intensive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the kind words!

My dews could be dewier and my pings could be flowering, but I'm sure once I get my photoperiod back up to 16 hours (it's at 10 right now for gemmae production on my pygmies) everything will look much happier. I also fed a couple of those dews last weekend so dew production hasn't quite picked up yet.

Dex and MH - squishing aphids is definitely something that I've indulged in before I wanted to blast them with pesticides to take care of any eggs they may have laid, but since populations don't seem to be exploding anymore, smooshed aphids are back on the menu for my dews!

CPlantaholic - I'll harvest the gemmae off of my D. callistos today (I wish I had a gemmae vacuum handy). How about the other ones? The nitidula x pulchella have decent sized crowns on them, but I just can't tell! And the others? I want to get them before they do damage to the mother plants.

Also, my T8s are about 6" above my plants. Based on my conditions, I did some brief calculations according to this guide and came out with a light intensity on the upper end of the "hazy day" range (closer to 50K lux). This should be plenty of light by any measure. BUT, in making these calculations, I made the assumption that my Flora Sun grow bulbs pump out 2600 lumens. I know my other two lights, the GE 4100K 32 watt "cool white" bulbs put out 2850 lumens, so I thought 2600 was reasonable. BUT, I can't find the actual lumen count for the Flora Sun bulbs published ANYWHERE. Perhaps my plants are getting a lot less light than I think they are. In your/anyone's experience, do grow bulbs put out less light than standard bulbs?

EDIT: PS, CPlantaholic, your new Youtube video tours are great! Very informative; thanks for making all that effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants; you have really done a good job with the S. purpurea rescue, I love the color. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I'm happy to see the plant doing so well under lights. Unfortunately, dormancy next season will be a real challenge given that I live in a small apartment with no outdoor space. But that's not for another year!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outer D. enodes, outer D. nitidula x pulchella, and D. scorpioides look like they're ready. The scorpioides look a bit jammed in there, and my D. roseana did the same thing, but the situation only got worse as I waited, and I ended up having to sacrafice my plant to collect the 10 gemmae but I didn't have any fancy tools- just tweezers.

As for the lighting, if you're not comfortable moving it closer, then you can leave it, and the plants will probably start to color up a bit more when they get a 16 hour photoperiod. Then you can judge it from there. With my T-8 fixtures, at least, I can put the fixture within 1 inch of pretty much all my sundews without having to worry about any burning. I just went off of what Tamlin recommended, and it seems to work well. I've never done any calculations, but I use a cool 2700 lumen 6500K and "sunny" 2800 lumen 5000k. The thing I like about having them closer is that if you're feeding them regularly, it takes a lot less time for the leaves/tentacles to produce dew and develop red coloration, which means that you can feed them more often, and you can make them grow/ flower even faster.

Thanks for the compliment on the vids. Some are a bit rough on the audio portion, but if you put it on mute, then you can at least see what the plant looks like
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm thanks! I just collected the gemmae off of my D. callistos and spread about 2/3 of them around the bases of the mother plants. Should have a nice colony in a few months. Looks like I can start working on the others too!

Sorry to bug you with questions, but...

1) To clarify, do you mean that the D. scorp look like they're packed together too tightly in the pot, or the gemmae seem to be jammed into each plant pretty good?

2) Moving the lights any closer wouldn't be practical as they would start to touch the tops of my sarr and my D. capensis. Perhaps if I expand my collection out onto a second shelf I'll have room to group plants by height. But until then, I'll have to work with light intensity and photoperiod vs. distance to plants. On that note, I've read a number of places that many plants will produce gemmae even without a change in the photoperiod. Have you ever experienced this? Next season, I would love to be able to reduce my photoperiod from 16 hours to, say, 14 hours rather than 9 or 10 and still get gemmae. 10 hours seems to be just too short for some of my other plants in here.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of gemmae to be harvested!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All harvested and spread - looking forward to my forest of pygmies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love how the U. sandersonii has covered that pot!!! What is the soil mix you've used in it and how did you get it to grow so awesome without the usual pest moss?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast