Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Greenhouse Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler is that ventilated? Just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not well sealed......ambient humidity is around 50 or 60 percent.......i use tanks to harden off small TC plants......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    bigger is better
    biggest is best..

Things to keep in mind:
    1. water build up.. (wet floors = serious damage) i.e.. water damage prevention
    2. lighting
    3. humidity
    4. air circulation (fans)
    5. heating/cooling

It's no small project, but the rewards are nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setup is an indoor greenhouse also. http://www.amazon.com/GrowLab-Hortic.../dp/B003E739PO . It's around 5 ft by 5ft, bout 6.5 ft high. Works great, lots of room, highly reflective inside. Has plenty of vents and the sides zip open for easy access or one side can open up completely to allow walk in access. It has clear windows also that can covered to keep it 'light-tight'. I like it, but I have found it a challenge to properly balance humidity with temps as I have so many lights in there since it is so big. If it were smaller I would get away with less light and thus cooler temps. If one could afford it, it is compatible with ventilated grow light systems, that would make it much easier to control temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well both of you got nice greenhouse setup there. This are the setups which are long lasting and can be used in any seasons without any hesitation.One of my friend had also prepared a greenhouse setup himself up til now we were using that setup but now i think to change over someone.
    grow tent and be healthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grow Labs are not good for high-humidity environments... they don't hold in humid air very well, so you have to overcompensate with more output on your humidifier or misters or whatever method you may use. With a grow lab and other similar models you will also have to run the lights inside the tent which will create over-heating problems and the lights will rust with the humidity requirement.

As Travis pointed out, water/moisture managment is a huge concern. You will have condensation building up on the sides of your indoor greenhouse and water running out of your plants' pots, there are many ways to solve this problem, but it is a huge consideration. You will want to lay down a good partition between your houses floor and the greenhouse floor. Maybe do a few layers of EPDM rubber or pond liner. Also have a catch tray for the water that passes through your pots that is easily drain-able. A kerosene siphon can also be used to empty the tray easily.

The best thing you can do is keep your plants and the humidity bubble contained in an enclosure, keep the lights and other electronics outside of that environment so they don't rust and over-heat your area.

I have been using the portable plant houses since last year and really like them. They are super cheap, super portable, and they have a transparent / water proof cover so I can keep the lights separate from the plants. Prior to using this current method I have experienced all other methods: terrariums, orchidariums, full blown greenhouses, grow labs/tents, grow racks, custom made chambers, etc. and keeping the plants separate from the electronics is a big take away.

Here are the flowerhouses I am referencing, various sizes for what you may need:
    http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/flowerhouse-plant.shtml
    This company makes a lot of different sizes for your needs and the are more durable then the early 90's styled pictures lead you to believe. I did a quick sketch of what I would do in your shoes:

I would build a wood frame out of pressure treated 2x4s and line the inside of the wood with a rubber lining maybe a few layers. Get a nice high output light fixture 200W plus and run it over top. I would also pipe in a humidifier from the side, and run a fan on the inside, or cut a whole in the top and have the fan positioned in that hole to exhaust the heat inside.

If Temp drops are a concern with the plants you are growing, run a cheap a/c window unit into the side that is hooked up to a thermostat. You will be positioned to grow anything in this setup.

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a dam shame that the plastic on those houses isn't transparent. would be nice to see the plants more clearly thorugh the material

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informative post, Mike. I'll be considering this for future projects.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast