Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Greenhouse Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice information there regarding the portable plant house there. You have provide nice and informative information here which inspired me and the beginners like me a lot.
    grow tent and be healthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    biggest is best..
    Biggest-est is best-est...

Anyway...

Personally, I'd stay away from the ones that aren't 4ft wide. 4ft fixtures are the "standard" size and anything else costs more because there's less demand for and therefore less production of them. The difference can vary depending on type of fixture, but sometimes a 2ft fixture is literally more expensive than a 4ft fixture, not just more expensive per watt or however else you want to look at it. So yeah, I recommend going with a 4ft chamber, if you have the room. The standard ones most use are the 6'h x 4'l x 18"w ones you can pick up most anywhere that sells the sort of thing. While they ARE metal and they WILL rust, it seems a slower process than one might expect. I've been using one in particular for a few years now with little rust. If you're especially concerned about it, you can spray paint it. But that'll allow you to stick two 2-bulb, 4ft T8 fixtures from most any hardware store over each shelf, which is more than sufficient for the majority of plants (T5s are, of course, better, but they're also significantly more expensive). You can go as cheap as wrapping 3 sides of it up in one or more space blankets (for reflectivity) and a vinyl shower curtain for the front, assuming you want to be able to see into it when it's all closed up. You can also go the more expensive route and use either foil-covered foam boards or foil-covered bubble wrap, both of which you can find in the insulation areas of hardware or home improvement stores.

As far as heat, yes, it will get pretty warm in there if you don't figure out some way for air exchange. What some of us with cooler winters do (myself included, and I know at least swords does the same) is just pump cool air from a window into the chamber as many months as the weather will allow (for me, this is like 10 months out of the year). If ambient temps are cool enough, such as in a basement environment, you can also just pump air in from outside the chamber. If heat turns out to be a REAL big problem for you, you can also relocate the ballasts in the light fixtures - move them outside the chamber, they're the primary source of heat in a T8 fixture. As far as air movement goes, those little clip-on fans would be great for this type of setup.

As mass noted (and this goes for any indoor setup, not just the big metal rack ones), you will indeed want some way to protect your floors from moisture. And if you have the thing pushed right up against a wall, make CERTAIN that no moisture is sneaking out behind the chamber and hanging out between the wall and the chamber, 'cause that is a very quick way to destroy that section of drywall.

Basically, if I were you, I'd build a miniature version of my greenhouse (which can be seen in the build thread in my sig) using just one rack instead of 6. I, personally, feel that's about as sturdy and versatile a setup as a 4' x 18" footprint will give you. I love the flower house concept mksmith posted about, but if I'm imagining it right, you only get one "layer" of plants since if you used some sort of rack, the plants on the top would prevent light penetration to the lower levels. So going 6 feet high with 5 shelves ends up giving you 30 square feet to grow stuff in a 6 square foot footprint.

My $0.02.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, to fix the issue with lighting in mk's system you could probably just stick a couple cfls inside the greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You certainly could, yes, but then you're defeating the purpose of keeping the lights outside the enclosure, lol. And the "lower-layer" plants would probably have to be ones that don't mind relatively dim lighting, unless you cram a good few of those things in there, which is also very feasible, but again, the purpose is defeated. >.<

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to make a greenhouse and will probably do a spin off of mks idea. Pretty much the same but with the lights in a different position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some plans that I have, hopefully I will be able to do it by the end of the year.
    Any suggestions for improving it? Obviously f stands for fan and h stands for humidity.
    side view

front view

top view

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks similar to mass's setup or how I would imagine Exo's looks like from the outside. My only recommendation would be to have separate ducts for the humidifier's output and the AC's. The way you have it, there's going to be a whole lot of condensation in the tube after the humidifier because that duct is going to be very cold from the AC's output. You will probably get water collection in the tube, which may flow back into the AC and that's obviously no good. Even not given that, when there's a lot of condensation in there or even a collected puddle, the AC coming on will blow a lot of water out, which will splash water around and make a mess. I understand you want the air cool air and humid air to be mixed before entering the chamber, but perhaps rethink the design. I guess, in all technicality, you could have the AC's duct be U-shaped, and have the humidifier come in at the bottom of the U so any condensation and water collection ends up just running back into the humidifier. I'd use PVC for that, of course. Just a couple ideas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps I can connect the humidifier closer to the exit of the pipe? the ac humidifier would only be on when the ac is on. I would have a separate humidifier in the greenhouse itself, Im just wondering if those humidifiers would be sufficient enough. I am also thinking that I might have to many fans.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast