Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plants Paludarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Dude, wow, that is incredible. Probably one of the most innovative CP displays I've seen! Looks like you have room for a second CP island in there... and of course, plenty of room on this thread for more pics
    Thanks! I'm actually considering a second, smaller island for Utricularia and Genlisea species (which will not be waterproof, allowing their roots to dangle down.) A poster on the CPUK forum suggested the idea. I need the surface space for my floating plants and fish, though.

And here are some overall shots from the photo album, in chronological order. The system still requires some improvements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a great piece of work! I love the overall concept, and think you've done very nicely.

I kept looking and feeling like something was off, and finally figured out what it was. Because your island is completely round, it didn't have that "natural" feel too it. But I love the overall idea, and really like how you have branches coming out of the island like roots. Overtime it'd be neat to see the sphagnum grow up over the lips of the pots and give it a more smooth appearance and solidify the planted tank feel.

Oh, and as far as pure red N. Ampularia, try 'Harlequin Red'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Emre,

I think your palludarium is looking a LOT healthier than when you first posted pictures of it and it keeps getting better. Congratulations on your success!

PS: The cat seems to approve of it too.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    You've got a great piece of work! I love the overall concept, and think you've done very nicely.

I kept looking and feeling like something was off, and finally figured out what it was. Because your island is completely round, it didn't have that "natural" feel too it. But I love the overall idea, and really like how you have branches coming out of the island like roots. Overtime it'd be neat to see the sphagnum grow up over the lips of the pots and give it a more smooth appearance and solidify the planted tank feel.

Oh, and as far as pure red N. Ampularia, try 'Harlequin Red'.
    Hi there,

Yes, it doesn't look 100% natural this way. But I can assure you that my first attempts at sculpting styrofoam (in an irregular pattern) produced some horrible results. The round island rotates smoothly, fits the triangular tank well, and maximises the space avaiable for carnivorous plants. If I had a very large tank, like 250+ gallons, I could give the island any possible shape I guess. As for sphagnum moss, it's blooming now (constant high moisture helps.) I guess I could add some peat padding under the moss to raise the level and hide the pots... when I'm not feeling lazy, lol.

I'm going to remove Cantley's Reds unless they grow new pitchers, which I don't think they will, so I'm looking for a replacement. A plant with basal pitchers would be awesome, like a centerfold at the middle of the island. Is "Brunei Red" any good? I've seen some stunning pictures of that variant. Thanks for your opinion BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Hi Emre,

I think your palludarium is looking a LOT healthier than when you first posted pictures of it and it keeps getting better. Congratulations on your success!

PS: The cat seems to approve of it too.
    Oh yes. Thanks a lot. Looking back, I think what made them miserable was a combination of sodium discharge lighting (bad!) and transplantation shock. And physical trauma, too. My cat rolled over the plants when they first arrived, breaking most of the pitchers!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one of the coolest ideas I have seen yet!

You should try and get some Genlisea or Utricularia and see if you can't recreate the Geoff Wong technique of having the traps grow through the soil and into the water below.

Really impressive!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a really beautiful paludarium! May I ask, what material did you use to make the 'rock' on which the cps float? You mentioned it was styrofoam, but is it a special kind, or the common ones that can be bought from arts and crafts stores? Also, how did you paint the styrofoam? Was it a special kind of paint? (i was thinking since most paints emit fumes they might be harmful to plants (?))

I apologize for my ignorant questions and thank you in advance for taking the time out to answer my questions!

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    That is one of the coolest ideas I have seen yet!

You should try and get some Genlisea or Utricularia and see if you can't recreate the Geoff Wong technique of having the traps grow through the soil and into the water below.

Really impressive!
    Thanks! Yes, once the cold season is over I'll order the plants. My only concern is water chemistry, we'll see what happens. I'll pick up the hardiest species (I don't know which species are easier to keep, though. I've always skipped the Utricularia section when reading books about carnivorous plants. I've never intended to keep them before getting this idea.)

Quote Originally Posted by kohwei View Post
    Wow, that's a really beautiful paludarium! May I ask, what material did you use to make the 'rock' on which the cps float? You mentioned it was styrofoam, but is it a special kind, or the common ones that can be bought from arts and crafts stores? Also, how did you paint the styrofoam? Was it a special kind of paint? (i was thinking since most paints emit fumes they might be harmful to plants (?))

I apologize for my ignorant questions and thank you in advance for taking the time out to answer my questions!

Thank you
    Hello, and your questions are perfectly reasonable. They are the questions that I've asked myself before beginning this project. Here are the steps I've followed:

1. I got a solid styrofoam block, 50x50x30 cm. As far as I know, this was just regular hard styrofoam used in buildings. Surprisingly, this was the hardest part for me, because I couldn't find any retailers selling such blocks over here. Ideally, you will want a few blocks to see which one is the best. (I've destroyed one, see 2nd picture below.)
    2. I used a kitchen knife and a small handsaw to give it a roughly circular shape.
    3. I used a soldering iron to create the irregular, craggy edges.
    4. I used grout and grout pigment to paint the floating island. Old toothbrushes are perfect for penetrating the crevices. Let it dry.
    5. I applied a second coating the day afterwards.
    6. I opened a small hole on the lower side of the floating island, positioned the driftwood, and fixed it with aquarium-safe silicone.
    7. I checked whether the island was waterproof, by filling it with some water and waiting overnight. It seemed to leak a little, so I applied more silicone.
    8. I cut a circular piece of tarpaulin and laid it inside the island, covering every inch of styrofoam.
    9. I arranged the square pots inside the island, and filled the gaps between with a mixture of sphagnum peat and quartz sand. I applied a sphagnum coating on top. I also left a gap at the middle of the island to observe water levels.

Neither grout nor grout pigment are poisonous. They are widely used in the aquarium hobby over here, mostly to create 3-D aquarium backgrounds. However, grout is a type of cement and contains a lot of calcium carbonate, which dissolves in water. This is bad news for carnivorous plants, since mineral build up can kill them. That's why I've used tarpaulin to isolate the soil. Maybe unnecessary, but remember: in this kind of setting, the water you add to the system is only removed through evaporation. This means your soil is more susceptible to mineral build-up. Any fertilisers you add, for example, will spread to all plants unless you isolate/remove the pot. Therefore planting in individual pots is a must. You could get a deeper island and fill the bottom with cork stoppers to provide better drainage, I guess.

I hope this helps! This is a lot better than a regular paludarium because you have a lot more water, which means you can keep more fish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. bicalcarata has milk teeth!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast