Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plants Paludarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnivorous Plants Paludarium

Hello people,

This is my carnivorous plants paludarium. I've had these carnivorous plants for five or six months I think. My plants were in bad shape when I first planted them, and I've lost my Drosera prolifera. (And my all-white variation of Drosera capensis, too. They never where healthy to begin with, unlike the all-red variety.) They're all thriving now though, except the two Cantley's Red variants, which are alive but refuse to grow new pitchers. I've used a custom mixture of long-fibre sphagnum moss, perlite, sphagnum peat and quartz sand for Nepenthes and Heliamphoras. For other plants, I used a 1:1 mixture of sand and peat. The plants receive 12 hours of metal halide light everyday, and are usually sitting in an inch of water. I occasionally allow this surplus water to evaporate completely before I add more. The tank currently holds 90 gallons, where I keep an assorted variety of fish and floating plants. The floating island is waterproof. I used to feed them fruit flies, but I've run out of cultures right now.

All comments/ideas welcome. Specifically, I'd like to know what other carnivorous plants are suitable to my setting.

General Info:

• 130 gallons
    • Water temperature, 28 C
    • Eheim 2228 external filter
    • Moisture, 100-90%
    • Ammonia, 0 mg/lt
    • Nitrate, less than 1 mg/Lt
    • pH = 7.5
    • 400 W metal halide

List of animal species:

• Beaufortia kweichowensis, x1
    • Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, x1
    • Apteronotus albifrons, x2
    • Planorbis Corneus Rubrum, a colony of
    • Macrognathus circumcinctus, x2
    • Trigonostigma heteromorpha, x3
    • Polypterus senegalus, x2
    • Mastacembelus favus, x1
    • Pomacea bridgesii, a colony of
    • Polypterus senegalus, albino, x1
    • Polypterus endlicherii endlicherii, x1

Water plants:

• Nuphar lutea
    • Salvinia natans
    • Spirodela polyrhiza
    • Limnobium laevigatum
    • Eichhornia crassipes
    • Pistia strationes

Carnivorous plants:

• Venus flytrap, giant Z11
    • Nepenthes ampullaria var. Cantley's Red, x2
    • Nepenthes ampullaria var. Harlequin, x2
    • Drosera capensis, var. all-red, x3
    • Nepenthes bicalcatrata, x2
    • Heliamphora minor, x2

Photo album here:

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/Whirlflux/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting approach! How long ago did you put it together?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like this idea, i really do. i do like the fact that you've given each plant their preferred media and planted them in their individual pots. that will make things easier when things like VFTs need their winter dormancy and they can be taken out.

i dont think there can be much advice given here---because these are more advanced perimeters that we are dealing with, mainly customizations dealing with temps. Helis normally are found growing in cool weather with drops down to the 45s, but i've also seen them grown together in a terra with petiolaris dews that never see temps drop below 80F during their growing season. Your LL Neps should do fine though. Really all i can say is take the VFT out during October, leave it outside to acclimate and rest until Mid Feb when you can "wake" it up to resume growth. Other than that, BEAUTIFUL FISH! i really enjoy the Polypterus and eels! and you have endlicherii! what a find!

for CPs you should try Utrics. everybody loves Utrics----except when they start invading every pot and you cant get rid of them....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Very interesting approach! How long ago did you put it together?
    ~Joe
    Thank you. Five or six months, I think.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i like this idea, i really do. i do like the fact that you've given each plant their preferred media and planted them in their individual pots. that will make things easier when things like VFTs need their winter dormancy and they can be taken out.

i dont think there can be much advice given here---because these are more advanced perimeters that we are dealing with, mainly customizations dealing with temps. Helis normally are found growing in cool weather with drops down to the 45s, but i've also seen them grown together in a terra with petiolaris dews that never see temps drop below 80F during their growing season. Your LL Neps should do fine though. Really all i can say is take the VFT out during October, leave it outside to acclimate and rest until Mid Feb when you can "wake" it up to resume growth. Other than that, BEAUTIFUL FISH! i really enjoy the Polypterus and eels! and you have endlicherii! what a find!

for CPs you should try Utrics. everybody loves Utrics----except when they start invading every pot and you cant get rid of them....
    Hi, and thanks for all the comments. Yes, I'm aware that VFTs require winter dormancy, and yes, that's why I've planted them in individual pots. As far as I remember, different species of Heliamphoras have different temperature ranges. I've read that Heliamphora minor is an "intermediate zone" plant, and not as strictly higland as its larger relatives. (They were actually the first plants to adapt to my paludarium.)

I actually wanted to get an aquatic utric, Utricularia reflexa. I couldn't find any information regarding their water chemistry requirements, so I avoided the risk. I'm not really interested in the terrestrial species. And finally, I'm glad that you like my fish! The endlicherii baby still has its external gills, like an axolotl. Very cute.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes.. I like it.. however..
    I'll be needing MORE !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    yes.. I like it.. however..
    I'll be needing MORE !!
    Well, I have 100+ pictures in the photo album. I add new photos occasionally. Btw, you have an impressive grow list! Just how "red" is your red ampullaria? I've been looking for a pure red variant of N. ampullaria for forever, but couldn't find any. The closest I could get was Cantley's Red, but it still has greenish-yellowish spots (and doesn't grow pitchers in my paludarium anyway.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is screaming for pics

A large, overall shot of the aquarium would be appreciated.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, wow, that is incredible. Probably one of the most innovative CP displays I've seen! Looks like you have room for a second CP island in there... and of course, plenty of room on this thread for more pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast