What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoffman Brand Peat Moss

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Hey everyone -

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoffman brand peat moss. I have been using it for quite some time now and have wondered if it is OK.

Some of my plants are looking pretty grumpy, and I suspect soil is partly to blame.

I found this thread from 2004 in which a guy said it contained fertilizer pellets - but that was over six years ago; they may have changed their "recipe" since then.

The bag does say 100% pure Canadian sphagnum on it - but it could be 100% pure plus a surprise!

I have used Hoffman Perlite (still have part of a bag) - it's plain perlite without any fertilizer but I've never seen their peat for sale. If the bag doesn't mention fertilizers anywhere on it and you do not actually see tiny BBs mixed into it (it should be visible as it is in Miracle Grow soil) I would not expect it to be there. I buy either Greensmix or Premire bands 100% Canadian Sphagnum at Home Depot or Lowes there's nothing in it except peat.

I don't pot my CPs in peat though, I really only use it for other houseplants and as part of forest terrarium soil mixes. I only grow my CPs in long fiber sphagnum (sometimes with orchid bark, cypress mulch or clay grit as drainage) and live sphagnum, peat seems to always go funky with CPs and plants who like to be moist - wet so I just quit bothering with it all together.

The MSDS says it's pure peat moss.

Read this article by Tamlin Dawnstar

Wow, that settles it then! I work for an industrial supply company so MSDSs are part of my daily vocabulary, but I NEVER would have thought to look for an MSDS for peat moss, of all things! Thanks.

Back